The men's basketball team put a cap on the millenium by establishing a school record for most losses at the start of a season. A 74-60 loss to cross-town foe Temple at the Palestra on December 29 sent the Quakers reeling into the new year with an 0-8 record. Penn trailed from the start, and never got close. The Owls (6-7) opened a 20-9 lead with a quartet of three-pointers before the midpoint of the first half, and coasted to a 9 point halftime margin. Lamar Plummer's open three to open the second half narrowed the margin to 6, which was the closest the Quakers ever got. Plummer led the Quakers with 13 points, shooting 3 for 12 from the field. Geoff Owens was the only other Quaker in double figures, with 12 points. Temple's David Hawkins led all scorers with 23. Next up for Penn: a trip to Miami on January 7 to face 2-8 Florida International. Home games with Drexel, Cornell and Columbia follow over the next 6 days. Despite the surprising 0-8 start, Penn's record in the all-important race for the Ivy League championship is still 0-0. This brief game update is provided as a service to dailypennsylvanian.com readers during Penn's winter break. Please see The Daily Pennsylvanian and dailypennsylvanian.com for complete coverage and analysis when we resume regular daily publication on Tuesday, January 16.