As the violence in the Middle East continues, Penn students who want to study in Israel next semester face a dubious future. Last Thursday, the Office of International Programs told students that if they were to go to Israel, Penn would not accept credit from study there and that the office would not forward their applications, which were due October 15. But after receiving a number of complaints about this severe stance on study in Israel, Penn officials changed their mind on Friday. "We have come to a decision to try and keep options for a longer period in time," OIP Director Joyce Randolph said. The University will now allow students to proceed with their applications to study in Israel second semester, Randolph said. However, she said the University will continue to monitor the situation in the Middle East. Officials did, however, say that until mid-December Penn reserves the right to advise students not to go and not give them credit for work completed while studying in Israel. In late September, violence struck Israel's West Bank when Israeli opposition leader Ariel Sharon visited a holy shrine that has been the site of longtime Israeli-Palestinian dispute. The total death toll from fighting between Palestinians and Israel security forces is now around 120, mostly Palestinians. Israel Prime Minister Ehud Barak said this weekend that Israel would take a "timeout" from the peace process. Currently, seven Penn students are studying abroad in Israel. Penn recently recommended that all students spending this semester in Israel return to the United States. The OIP will allow students applying to study in Israel to submit second study-abroad application in case the University cancels the program. Normally, students are only allowed to submit one application, but Randolph said that the University would make a "huge exception to the general rule" due to the unusual circumstances. Randolph said 12 students planned on submitting applications to study in Israel. They learned of the new decisions by e-mail Friday evening. Thursday's decision to cancel the program was prompted by continued student inquiries in light of the situation in Israel, Randolph said. "We made those recommendations because the students were already beginning to feel uncertain," she explained. "The first decision was made because safety was the primary concern." Many students said they were upset with the initial decision. "It was horribly unfair," said College junior Jordana Levitsky, who is planning to apply to study in Israel for next semester. "They did not have the right to tell us we couldn't apply when the situation in three months could change dramatically." And David Mandel, a College junior applying to spend next semester at Hebrew University, said he thought Penn cancelled the program too soon. "It was premature," he said. "I thought they should allow us to apply and then advise us whether or not they thought we should go." With the student's feedback in mind, the University re-evaluated its stance. "I think, in the best of all possible worlds, they will go, but that it is wise for them and for us to be thinking about back-up plans for each of the 12 in case the world again changes," University President Judith Rodin said Friday. Several of the students said that the new decision was more reasonable, and that they would be watching the situation closely before deciding whether they still want to study abroad. "At this point, it's really hard for me to say what my decision will be," College junior Suzy Berger said. Berger will double-apply to study in Israel and, as a back-up, Kings College in London, though she emphasized that her first choice is still Israel.