In the fall of 1996, an Undergraduate Assembly survey showed 97 percent of students in favor of bringing an inexpensive 24-hour diner to campus. University officials planned to "make sure we can get the right deal and attract a first-class operator." After months of delay and anticipation, Eat at Joe's opened in July 1998.

But there were some problems. It wasn't open 24 hours. It wasn't cheap. And it wasn't really a diner. It was a chain theme-restaurant.

Despite some changes to its hours and menu, Eat at Joe's was never able live up to expectations. It simply wasn't the kind of business being requested.

Now that the chain, pushed by the University, has closed the diner, the University has the opportunity to try again.

The University should procede quickly in finding a satisfactory replacement for the restaurant.

The University needs to acknowledge that the overwhelming majority of students simply want an inexpensive place to eat anytime, day or night.

We hope that the University is able to keep students' wishes in mind as it chooses a new tenant to take Eat at Joe's place on 40th Street, and not tempted to bring in another high-end restaurant.