Braving rain and unseasonal cold, thousands came to the University's graduation ceremonies last weekend to watch and cheer on graduates as they walked down the aisle to receive their diplomas.

It may have been worth the weather just to hear the excellent graduation speakers.

Nobel laureate Seamus Heaney gave reflected on life in the 21st century, noting the convergence of people from diverse communities with diverse interests.

"The Amish carriage now shares the road with the Mercedes car," Heaney noted to the assembled crowd.

The school graduations also featured notable speakers, ranging from Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers, who gave Wharton MBAs advice on doing business in a technology-based economy, to Pew Charitable Trusts President Rebecca Rimel, who told nursing students to take pride in their profession, to documentarian Michael Moore, who addressed graduates of the Annenberg School.

Many of the speakers urged graduates to take in an interest in the public sector and public service, to give back to the community and influence their world, to share what the have gained from their years at Penn -- a noble sentiment which we echo.

Congratulations and best of luck to the Class of 2000. We hope your accomplishments will make future classes proud.