Penn is currently in discussions with Blockbuster and Hollywood Video to bring a new bideo store to campus. With initial talks underway, students may soon have a place besides ResNet and Cinemagic to turn to for movie entertainment. University officials are in "preliminary discussions" with Blockbuster and Hollywood Video, according to John Greenwood -- a top official for the University's real estate company -- who explained that the University held introductory meetings with both companies over the past two months. "We would like to have a new store here this year," Greenwood said. University officials said they have had only "some interest" from Blockbuster and Hollywood Video at this early stage. "They are not beating down our door," said Tom Lussenhop, the University's top real estate official. He added that large corporations tend to be more methodical in their dealings, saying the University will learn their intentions in the coming weeks. "[The process is] moving along at a natural course," Greenwood said of the discussions with video retailers. The only video store currently on campus, the Video Library on the 4000 block of Locust Street, closes at 10 p.m. on weeknights and Saturdays. Philadelphia-based TLA Video had been in talks with the University since September about filling the vacant space adjacent to the Eat at Joe's diner on the 3900 block of Walnut Street. But following a boom in the eclectic distributor's online sales and speculation of old-fashioned video rental becoming obsolete, TLA opted not to open at Penn. Students have continuously asked for more video options on campus. A 1998 Undergraduate Assembly 40th Street Development Survey showed that 53 percent of the 470 students polled expressed a desire for a late-night video store. Outgoing UA Chairman Michael Silver, who met with the University to present the UA's recommendations for a video store in late February, called the survey results "eye-opening." "It's quantitative data that the University doesn't have," Silver said, adding that the survey should serve as incentive for video chains. The College senior gave Greenwood a hard copy of the results earlier this month. While UA members did not attend the introductory video store meetings with the two chains, both the University and Silver said students will be involved in future talks. "[The University has] said all along that they want us on board," Silver said yesterday. "It's been a very good partnership." Greenwood said he appreciates the student group's eagerness to participate. UA member Molly Siems, a College freshman, said several UA members have been discussing video store plans within the UA since the initial February meeting with the University, at which Siems was present. "I would really like to get together again to make sure everything is still moving forward," Siems said. The recommendation to bring a late-night video store to campus was also made last spring by Provost Robert Barchi's Working Group on Alcohol Abuse as a way to provide more non-alcoholic activities on campus. The University is primarily looking to fill the space next to Eat at Joe's, according to Lussenhop. Incoming UA Chairman Michael Bassik said he intends to work with the University until administrators secure a video chain. "We intend to meet with Executive Vice President John Fry within the next two weeks to let the University know that bringing a video store to campus is still a top priority for the UA," the College junior said.