The buildings may be crumbling and supplies may be virtually non-existent. But Mayor John Street has another concern on his to-do list for the ailing Philadelphia public school system -- fashion. Last week, the mayor introduced a new plan that would require all students in the city's public school system to don uniforms. The proposal, which could affect all 259 district schools, is the latest step in Street's push to improve education in schools across the city. At Street's request, members of the school board -- who thanks to a 1998 state law can require school uniforms in all Philadelphia schools -- will be discussing the possibility of mandating uniforms for students at an Education Committee meeting today. Street has expressed strong support for uniforms, saying that they will improve discipline and order in the downtrodden, underfunded public school system. Issues regarding school uniforms are often hotly contested between parents, students and administrators. And although the principals of several West Philadelphia schools say they approve of Street's plan, they also foresee complications the policy could cause. Cheryl Hazzard, principal of the Lea School at 47th and Locust Streets, expressed her strong support for a system of uniforms in public schools. "I think that uniforms are a good idea. Who's going to fight in dress up clothes?" Hazzard asked. "Nobody's going to get their good clothes messed up." She has experienced the benefits of school uniforms first-hand, having worked at a public school where the majority of children wore the same outfit. The results were an increase in school spirit and less competition among students, Hazzard said. However, other local administrators are skeptical of the mayor's plan to bring uniforms into their schools. "I'm not sure I see the connection between uniforms and children's behavior," said March Neff, principal of Powelton Village's Powel Elementary School, which houses grades K-4. Neff has also worked at a school where the students were encouraged to wear a simple uniform, and said that she perceived no visible difference from Powel in terms of discipline. Although Neff said she would be receptive to the idea of uniforms, she added that the clothes would have to allow children to play and get messy -- meaning no skirts for girls. "There are so many more important things we need to be concerned about in this city about public education," Neff said. Both Powel and Lea -- which has students in grades K-8 -- have younger students, which, the principals say, decreases the need for uniforms. A standard dress code is especially helpful in a high school environment, where the pressure to wear designer labels is far more intense, they added. University City High School Assistant Principal Ethelyn Young said that she "would love to see uniforms throughout the school system." "It will cut down on the name calling and the low self-esteem," Young explained. "Some children cannot afford to wear the most up-to-date clothing." However, Young also said that while she supports the plan, it will be difficult to get high school students to agree to wear uniforms. "You'd have a large outcry," Young said. "You're going to have a fight on your hands in the high schools."