At the Panhellenic Council's first annual 5k Pumpkin Chase run yesterday, more than 200 members of the University community ran through campus to raise over $3,500 for breast cancer research and awareness. University President Judith Rodin announced the start of the race, which began and ended at Harnwell College House, and in a brief speech complimented Panhel for its charity work. "I'm just proud of Panhel and delighted at the turnout," Rodin said. In accordance with Halloween traditions, almost no one went home from the race empty-handed. Panhel awarded medals to the top 169 finishers. The top male and female runner in each of three categories according to age and the participants with the best costumes won prizes. Wharton junior and Alpha Kappa Delta Phi member Tracey Rohrer, the top female finisher in the 17 to 22 age group with a time of 21 minutes and 41 seconds, said, "I just enjoy running -- that's the reason I came out." "I thought it was for a good cause and a good time for everyone to get together," Rohrer added. Seventy-five percent of the money raised will benefit Race for the Cure, which provides care for underprivileged breast cancer victims in the area. "People don't realize that [breast cancer] is becoming a young persons' disease.? We really need to find a cure, and we're coming that much closer," Debbie Goodman, co-chairperson of Race for the Cure Philadelphia, said. The remaining 25 percent will go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation, one of the largest international organizations raising money to heighten awareness and research of the disease that will affect nearly 1.8 million women in the world by the end of the century. Panhel President Becca Iverson, a College senior and Chi Omega sister, said the event raised more money than Panhel had anticipated. "We are all very excited to be making such a sizeable donation," Iverson said. According to Director of Recreation Mike Diorka, who helped to plan the race and also organizes the annual Locust Walk Mile, Panhel intends to make the Pumpkin Chase an annual event. "It's been a lot of fun and a good experience for the students," Diorka said. "It's a great thing that kids got up early on Halloween? it would have been great if more came in costume." Panhel has, in recent years, placed a focus on women's health issues, holding a number of workshops ranging from nutrition to eating disorders. Associate Vice Provost for University Life Terry Conn -- who has worked with Panhel and the Trustees Council of Penn Women to promote women's health issues -- agreed that the students' involvement was impressive. "It was a great turnout for the first year, and we will be looking forward to even more [participants] next year," Conn said.