Tainted by rush violations, the frat's members hope to reclaim its good name. After being placed on administrative hold by the University and temporary suspension by its national office last spring for violating dry rush and anti-hazing policies, members of the Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity met with its national organization last week to reorganize for the upcoming year. The national office mandated over the summer that the 40 junior and senior members of the fraternity be placed on "special alumni status," which forbids their participation in the organization of the chapter. New SAM President Jared Hendricks, a College sophomore, would not say whether the harsh decision was the result of the behavior of the chapter's members last January at a New Jersey bowling alley, where they allegedly brought five kegs of beer and stole hundreds of pieces of equipment. But according to SAM "special alumnus" Eric Spielman, a College senior, the national office called the meeting in order to discuss last semester's rush events -- including the bowling alley incident. Sigma Alpha Mu International Executive Director Aaron Girson did not return repeated phone calls this week. Hendricks maintained that the national organization decided to meet with the chapter to discuss organizational issues dealing with both group and personal responsibilities. Girson met with each of SAM's 21 current active members and some alumni both individually and as a group. "The goals that the national had were for us to reorganize? and to make sure we got off this year on the right foot," Hendricks said. He added that Girson met with the members "to help [us] build on the foundations of brotherhood that our chapter stands for as well as help the community and get involved in University life as a chapter." The chapter elected four new members -- all sophomores -- to its executive council last week, replacing the junior and senior executive board members who are no longer brothers of the fraternity. SAM "special alumnus" Jared Weinstock, a College senior, said, "The house is fine -- we're not on probation and we're not under any scrutiny at the moment." Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Director Scott Reikofski said he was unable to comment. Hendricks said he does not expect the recent changes to the fraternity's infrastructure to affect the rush process in January, noting that the new SAM will still participate in fall showcasing events. InterFraternity Council President Mark Metzl said the fraternity's fewer members should not affect its performance during rush. "I think SAM's reorganization has revitalized and redirected the fraternity. Rushes will realize how dedicated and strong the SAM brotherhood has become," the College senior and Tau Epsilon Phi brother said. Pointing out the chapter's recent efforts at rebuilding, Hendricks pointed to its philanthropy campaign, which included 15 members' participation last Sunday in the 5K "Walk to Cure Diabetes" -- sponsored by the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation -- held at Fairmont Park in Philadelphia. The fraternity solicited donations from its alumni and members of the University community, raising $1,028 for diabetes research and making the house eligible for a Juvenile Diabetes Achievement Award. Hendricks said the chapter will also hold a pizza-eating contest with other campus organizations, including Greek houses, in late October to raise money for the United Nations Children's Fund. "We're creating a better, more sound organization that will hopefully create change on the campus through philanthropy," Hendricks said.