Indeed, organizations bringing together people of similar backgrounds and goals are the backbone of Penn student life. Well over a hundred clubs and organizations exist on campus, ranging from the Asian Pacific Student Coalition to the College Democrats, from the Jewish Law Students Association to the Ultimate Frisbee Club. Students forge strong friendships through these associations and they account for a large part of social life in our community. Clubs and groups also serve as an arena where students can explore and refine their understanding of themselves and the community in which they live. A problem arises, however, when these groups become restrictive and students cease to explore beyond their immediate circle of friends and acquaintances. Too much of our student population becomes separated into smaller clusters and groups marked by racial and social homogeneity. It seems that Penn students struggle for a few semesters to find a niche, and then spend the rest of their time at University almost exclusively in that niche. It would be an overstatement to suggest that there is a conscious effort on the part of students to reject those who don't share their similarities. But what does exist is a subtle tendency or preference to associate with those who are like us. In the Penn community, it becomes relatively easy to maintain a satisfying social and academic life as well as a certain level of anonymity. As a result, many students feel little pressure or reason to extend themselves beyond one's current social, racial and cultural boundaries. The diversity of our campus should serve as one of our greatest resources, but many gain only a superficial appreciation for people of different ideals and backgrounds. We are fortunate as students to be attending one of the most eclectic campuses in the nation, if not the world. To throw away this great, and possibly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity would be a tragic loss. Not only is it in the best interests of all students to make a conscious effort to break down barriers, it should also be our responsibility and obligation to refuse the present segregated diversity and extend ourselves into a more fully integrated community. The summer offers a refreshing opportunity for students to break out of their traditional molds. With the majority of social cliques and more formal organizations temporarily defunct, many students find themselves groping to establish a sense of identity beyond their normal school year ties. Socializing by association practically comes to a halt during the summer as people interact more freely and with fewer pretensions. Fewer and fewer conversations begin with, "So what frat are you in?" or "What sport do you play?" I find it reassuring to see students slowly but surely breaking down many of the superficial barriers that prevented them from meeting or befriending certain other students during the school year. The tragedy of our largely segregrated student body may never be fully resolved. But this summer, a handful of people will extend themselves beyond their normal boundaries and perhaps establish friendships that will carry over into the school year and beyond.