While students at pre-professional universities tend to ponder the age-old question of what career to pursue, some students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science may have gotten closer to finding the answers last week. As part of National Engineers Week, the Penn Engineering Alumni Society and Engineering Career Services sponsored a series of career seminars presented by about 20 professional engineers and University alumni. The event, held in the Towne Building, drew nearly 150 undergraduates. Rosette Pyne, assistant director of career services in the Engineering School, said she hoped the seminars would help students become familiar with major-related career options and acquire a better understanding of "the skills needed to be successful in the marketplace." According to 1977 Engineering graduate Eric Benshetler, a manager at Unisys -- a networking software development company -- the seminars were an opportunity for students to get feedback from a professional source and attain a different viewpoint. Nearly 20 undergraduates sought more career advice Thursday night at "Dialogue with the Deans" -- sponsored by the Undergraduate Engineering Advisory Board and held in the Towne Building's Raisler Lounge. Engineering sophomore Judy Evans, co-coordinator of the event and a UEAB member, said the meeting provided "a time for students to question and challenge a panel of administrators and faculty members" consisting of Interim Dean Eduardo Glandt, Undergraduate Dean John Vohs, Graduate Dean Dwight Jaggard and Systems Professor John Keenan. Vohs noted that SEAS 101 -- an introductory course in Engineering to be offered to freshmen beginning next spring -- would be geared toward curriculum-deferred freshmen and would provide a general overview of the Engineering school's majors. Engineering sophomore Johnny Yau, co-coordinator of the event and a UEAB member, said Engineering students have little interaction with people outside their majors because they are focused on core requirements and that SEAS 101 would bring freshmen of different interests together. Vohs also discussed plans to make course-planning guides available on the Internet. The interactive guides would allow Engineering students to keep track of the requirements that they must fulfill in order to complete their majors. According to Engineering junior and UEAB Vice President Lou Kolman, Engineering students are not informed of whether or not they have fulfilled their requirements until senior year. Some students asked if the Engineering School should be concerned that only about 50 percent of Engineering students pursue careers in engineering. Glandt said this statistic is positive rather than problematic -- and is evidence of the diversity of interests within the school. And Vohs said he sees this as a "stepping stone" to expanding opportunities beyond traditional Engineering jobs. UEAB President Charles Sieh, an Engineering senior, said the event was one of the few opportunities in which students can interact with the administration and faculty in an informal manner. "[The meeting] promoted a sense of community," Sieh said.