The Daily Princetonian (U-WIRE) -- The eight-month saga that began with a firecracker exploding in a sold-out Palestra has come to an unexpected end after Philadelphia prosecutors decided not to seek extradition for 1998 Princeton University graduate David Meehan. Despite the fact that Meehan confessed to the crime during testimony at the trial of his friend and classmate Jason Brasno, Assistant District Attorney Jan McDermott said that her office had decided not to pursue any further legal action against Meehan. "I wasn't certain that we could say that [Meehan] was the doer when we said all along it was Brasno," McDermott said. "Some people in this office are of the opinion that you can't do that." After Common Pleas Judge A.J. DeFino acquitted Brasno of all charges in October, it had looked as though Meehan would be booked for the same crime. After the verdict was read, McDermott had said Meehan would be extradited "if I have anything to do with it." On Monday, Brasno's attorney Richard Brown released a statement after learning of McDermott's decision from The Daily Princetonian: "Mrs. McDermott's comments are puzzling. David Meehan came forward on March 9, just six days after the incident, and made a full concession to three deans at Princeton. He later made full restitution to every person known to have suffered property damage. His degree was withheld. He waived his privilege against self-incrimination. Finally, he exposed himself to a perjury prosecution if his testimony was untruthful. "No one would do all this merely to save a friend. There is no reason to doubt Mr. Meehan's repeated confessions; he is the one responsible for the firecracker, not Mr. Brasno," he said in his written statement. "The assistant district attorney's unwillingness to accept the court's decision undermines the system she works for," he added. McDermott said Monday she was disappointed with the decision of her office not to take action against Meehan, even though she said she continues to believe that Brasno was the true culprit. "I think the whole thing is unfortunate, but we have to live with it," McDermott said. "I had a theory, and I have to live with that." Meehan could not be reached for comment Monday.