Citing a lack of area parking and potential safety and security problems, the University has officially expressed its opposition to local developer Dan Keating's $500 million proposal to build a new Philadelphia Phillies stadium complex at 30th and Walnut streets. Keating first proposed the new stadium at the 30th Street location in the fall of 1996. At that time, the only University official who would comment was Athletic Director Steve Bilsky, who said he opposed the plan because it did not account for Penn's future development. The University's opposition to the Keating proposal hurts the chances of a stadium being built near the Penn campus, as city and Phillies officials indicated that they do not wish to alienate Philadelphia's largest private employer. Keating's proposal calls for a $500 million complex that would also include office space, cinemas and parking areas. "He was trying to put a use far too big and complicated on a site too small," Penn Executive Vice President John Fry said yesterday. Officials from the state, city and the Phillies -- as well as from Penn and Drexel, which own many of the buildings in the area -- must all agree on the terms of any stadium proposal before they determine sources of funding. The Phillies currently play in Veterans Stadium in South Philadelphia. The stadium, which also houses the National Football League's Philadelphia Eagles, was built in the 1970s. Its artificial turf, concrete walls and round shape have been criticized for their cookie-cutter, unattractive style. Keating's plan is based on baseball-only ballparks such as Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore and Jacobs Field in Cleveland that convey an old-style feel and give fans a panorama of the downtown skyline. Penn officials are especially concerned with the lack of suitable parking. Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Carol Scheman said the plan's provisions for parking "aren't workable." "They called for using the University parking places, as if they're not used already," Scheman said. Unless Keating proposes a better solution for parking, the plan is not realistic, Scheman said. She said the University will not seriously consider any plan until that problem is solved. Another issue is the potentially negative effect the new stadium might have on security and the quality of life in the surrounding neighborhood. "If [the plan] does get farther, the neighborhoods are going to want some answers to quality of life issues," Scheman said. While Keating is committed to the plan, the Phillies are still in the early stages of investigation and have not made a decision on any of three proposed sites, according to Joe Giles, the Phillies director of business development. Giles said the Phillies were already aware of the University's concerns with the 30th Street site prior to Penn's public announcement, which was first reported in yesterday's Philadelphia Daily News. "We want to work with Penn and do something that is beneficial for them and for us," Giles said. In addition to the 30th Street site, officials are considering the northwest corner of Broad and Spring Garden streets near Center City and the South Philadelphia stadium complex as possible locations for a new ballpark. Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell is also holding off on making any firm decisions on any of the sites, according to his spokesperson, Kevin Feeley. Until there are definite plans for state funding, any stadium talks are premature, Feeley said. Keating did not return repeated calls for comment. Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge has said the state will pay for one-third of the cost for a new stadium. The rest will be up to the local economy and the Phillies.