Representing the culmination of years worth of vending negotiations, the University sent the latest version of the proposed vending ordinance to Philadelphia Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell's office last week for review. But as with the last time the issue came before City Council, the proposal will not necessarily have clear sailing toward approval. University City Vendors Alliance spokesperson Scott Goldstein said the plan "just does not seem sufficient for the vendors." He complained that the UCVA received a copy of the proposed ordinance "on the same day" Blackwell did, and was therefore not given a chance to review it. The revised ordinance calls for the creation of a University City Vending Advisory Board to review vending stand design regulations and make recommendations about choosing among vending applicants for a particular location. The board would be made up of nine members -- seven of whom are affiliated with the vending business, the retail business or the University, and two who are not directly connected to the issue -- serving one-year terms. In addition, the proposed legislation, which was drawn up by the University, area vendors and the Penn Consumers Alliance, would prohibit outdoor vending directly in front of existing or future retail locations, as well as in residential districts. It would also eliminate vending on most of Locust, Walnut, Chestnut and Sansom streets, restricting it to the western side of 38th Street, Spruce Street between 36th and 38th streets, 40th Street between Spruce and Locust streets, 33rd Street near the Palestra and along Market Street between 34th and 40th streets. Thirteen additional carts will be situated near the Penn Tower Hotel. The council will schedule public hearings to inform the University community about the bill. The public hearings will take place after the first of the year, according to the University's top economic development official, Jack Shannon. "While the exact date of the proposed legislation's introduction remains to be determined, there is no desire to fast-track without the full legislative process taking place," he added. But Goldstein still accused the University of "rushing ahead," since the UCVA and the Penn Consumers Alliance were not given a chance to fully review the ordinance. He added that his group hopes to meet with Blackwell in the next few weeks to voice dissatisfaction with specific aspects of the proposal. "I am optimistic because Blackwell is always sensitive to the vending community," Goldstein added. In addition to the vending areas described in the proposed ordinance, the University will create five fresh air food plazas, which will provide free electrical hook-ups, outdoor seating and improved lighting for vendors, and will serve as area parks when vendors vacate at night. The plazas are to be built by next spring and will be scattered around campus: behind Van Pelt Library; between Gimbel Gymnasium and the adjacent Mod Six Garage; along the eastern side of 40th Street between Walnut and Locust streets; on the corner of 34th and Spruce streets; and next to Bennett Hall. The ordinance allows room for 100 possible vending locations, and the fresh air food plazas create space for an additional 45 vendors.