An architectural firm looked to hammer out plans for a proposed fresh air food plaza behind Van Pelt Library. Representatives of the University City Vendors Alliance, the Penn Consumers Alliance, Van Pelt Library and the University City District met with an architectural site planning company yesterday afternoon to discuss plans for the creation of a fresh air food plaza behind Van Pelt Library, the first of several proposed sites. The fresh air food plazas are part of a proposed city ordinance that aims to move street vendors to specific locations on and around campus. Under the ordinance, some vendors would remain on the streets, but their choice of spots would be restricted. The others would move into plazas, which would provide electrical hook-ups, sewage and water lines and improved lighting for a cost of $1 a month for five years. The plazas would also contain outdoor seating for customers. University officials said some vendors have indicated they would expand their hours if they received such new amenities at low cost. Van Pelt officials stressed that if the firm, Synterra Ltd., "can meet our needs, we're all for [the building plan]," said John Keane, director of administrative services for the library. Keane explained the library is concerned about whether the proposed plaza will block the library's rear entrance, preventing fire and rescue squads -- as well as delivery vehicles -- from reaching the library. Van Pelt typically receives approximately 123 deliveries per week. He stressed that "when I came out of the meeting, I felt that [Synterra] really listened to us, so we have our fingers crossed that they can come up with something attractive that can provide value for us all." Vendors Alliance spokesperson Scott Goldstein said the group -- which had long been frustrated by what he described as the University's "lack of respect where communication is concerned" -- was "impressed that today's meeting was largely to get our input as far as what is needed in creating these fresh air food courts." "I was very impressed with Synterra -- myself, the two people from the [Penn Consumers Alliance] and some vendors all thought that if this group is empowered properly by the University, they will do the job well," he said, adding that he was "struck" by the company's credibility. Synterra Project Coordinator William Mellix said that "we are not designing plans in a closed room -- we want everybody's opinion" on the proposed plazas, but stressed that vendors have been "shifted around" in discussions about the proposed ordinance. And Goldstein noted that "the early process showed little respect for vendors, consumers, students, faculty and staff, and it's nice to see that the University has changed their tact." Mellix added that the company is trying to design fresh air food plazas that will look "acceptable and aesthetically pleasing" even when the vendors are closed. Yesterday's meeting will be followed by similar discussions as the other proposed sites come under consideration. The sites may include the area in front of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and a site on 40th Street, according to Jack Shannon, the University's top economic development official.