The ex-Penn receiver was disappointed that, despite good numbers, the Lions kept just five-not six-wide-outs. At the end of the preseason, Miles Macik was confident he had not played himself out of a roster spot. After surviving several rounds of cuts, the former Penn wide receiver finished the preseason second in both catches and receiving yardage for the Detroit Lions, a team that features star wide-outs Herman Moore and Johnny Morton. Yet when Detroit announced its final cuts, Macik surprisingly found his name among them. Macik was once again a victim of the numbers game, as Detroit kept only five wide-outs so they could stock weaker areas of the team. "I got a raw deal," Macik said. "It hurt a little bit that I wasn't cut because of poor performance." Macik was first team All-Ivy his senior year in 1995, and his name can be found all over the Penn and Ivy League record books. Macik was the only player to be given the Munger Award -- Penn's most valuable player -- in two seasons, and he had 200 receptions and 26 touchdowns over the span of his collegiate career. He was known as a spectacular route-runner with excellent hands. With Macik's numbers this preseason were even better than last year, when the undrafted free agent made the Lions. After being demoted to the practice squad in mid-season, he had spent considerable time improving his strength and quickness in the offseason. While Macik was not guaranteed a roster spot entering this year, it was still a shock to him and his teammates when he was cut. "After the decision, I talked with (Detroit quarterbacks) Scott Mitchell and Frank Reich," Macik said. "Scott said I was definitely good enough to play in the NFL." While Macik received support from the players who could best judge his abilities, the quarterbacks and receivers, they were not the only ones against the decision to cut Macik. As with most personnel decisions, there was a split among the coaching staff as to whether or not Macik should make the team. "I still don't know where [Detroit head coach Bobby] Ross was on the decision," Macik said. "In fact, I'm still curious to see who made the final decision." Macik was probably hurt by Detroit's offseason change in coaching staff and offensive philosophy. While the Lions had often utilized a spread-out, four-receiver offense in the Wayne Fontes era, Ross favors a more rush-oriented attack. Macik probably would have made the team had Detroit decided to keep six wide-outs. Despite their decision to not keep Macik, the Detroit coaches assured him that he would catch on elsewhere. They even mentioned the possibility of signing Macik if a roster spot opened up. "I'll see what happens," MAcik said. "I want to play and I need more experience. I just want to play somewhere." The Lions left Macik in a difficult situation for this year. He was not released until final cuts, after all teams have already set their rosters. In order to pick up Macik, a team would have to release a player or place someone on injured reserve for the season. While Macik might have a greater interest in the injury reports than most people, he certainly is not watching NFL games hoping that a receiver comes up limping after making a catch. "Hopefully I'll get a call from someone," Macik said, "But I would never wish injury upon anyone." Macik has already received calls from several teams about possibly working out for them. Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and New England all have expressed some interest in Macik, but none of these teams has a roster spot available to sign him. Macik also can not be signed to the teams' practice squads because he was on Detroit's active roster for more than six games last year. "I wouldn't want to be back on the practice squad," Macik said. "I don't want to be a developmental player." It is frustrating for Macik to watch NFL games when he know she can catch and run routes as well as most of the receivers. Macik's chances to catch on with a team are hurt because his time in the 40 is a step slower than the typical NFL receiver. Yet he knows there are a few NFL receivers, such as Ed McCaffery, who have succeeded with similar abilities. "While my speed hasn't improved that much, I know my foot speed has improved." Macik said. "I also know I have improved a lot as a blocker. Hopefully someone sees something they like." If Macik receives any offers, they are likely to come early in the week after the teams watch films on Monday and have and off-day on Tuesday. While the three teams have asked if he could work out for them, no dates have been set and nothing is definite. For now, Macik is forced to play the waiting game. "I haven't given much thought to how long I'll just wait around," Macik said. "I'll probably wait two or three more weeks before I look for a job or maybe take classes in addition to staying in shape." Macik holds no grudges against the Lions for forcing him into his current situation. He is still optimistic about catching on with another team this season, something he didn't think he would have to worry about two weeks ago. "I was a little upset and a little shocked initially," Macik said. "I know I did not play poorly and I know I am not incapable of playing in the NFL. I just have to wait for the opportunity."