Spana Donde, Guest Columnist Spana Donde, Guest Columnist Imagine being in a lecture. Suddenly, something is triggered inside your mind -- a moment full of terror, pain and shame. You lose control and feel helpless. Although Penn has been an advocate of "Take Back the Night" -- a women's movement against sexual violence -- the march has caused a tremendous amount of controversy since its first year. The concerns surrounding the annual event were the presence of men and traumatic repercussions of the survivor speak-out. But meetings and discussions held in the past three years have only concluded in a stalemate, and the meaning of "Take Back the Night" has become a crippled soldier, lost and forgotten in the barricades of time. Yet each of the problems raised have crucial validity and it is no wonder why "Take Back the Night" has been such a touchy controversy. I knew to be some way to make everyone happy and satisfied with the event -- but the question was how to do it? Although I am not a survivor of sexual abuse, rape, molestation or incest, I felt this event was intended to be a gift to those survivors of violent crimes, a night to provide them with safety and a voice that had been silenced by personal traumas. I also felt that we should definitely have men involved in the event. While I am sensitive that some survivors may be threatened by the presence of men, men should be welcome to be a part of a major issue that affects many of the women they love. And care about and their importance should not be forgotten or diminished. In February, I created a proposal for the implementation of a new way of organizing "Take Back the Night" to alleviate all of the controversies as well as to remind people that the event is essentially all about the survivors and their voices. The evening will begin as it has in past years with prominent guest speakers. Then there will be an abridged version of the survivor speak-out to include a small group who feel comfortable with sharing their stories. After this will be a march around campus to protest sexual violence and followed by a small closing ceremony. At this point "Take Back the Night" will be officially over. But "Take Back the Night" does not end here. Two groups will meet after the closing ceremony running at the same time but very exclusive from each other. A group will meet in Steinberg-Dietrich to discuss issues raised by the evening. This is open to everyone who wants to participate, including survivors who want to share their stories openly. In contrast, the second group will be a special gathering for survivors only and counselors from the Women's Center and Women Organized Against Rape -- conducive for a poignant speak-out. Survivors have the option of bringing a friend with them, but only if they request so. This will be held at the Bio Pond because of its soothing and beautiful atmosphere -- allowing survivors to feel completely removed from campus. This will be absolutely confidential and intimate and must be survivors only. The event's success or failure cannot be predicted. I do feel though that with this reorganization at least some of the pain and traumas associated with the night itself can be alleviated. I cannot stress enough the importance of creating this sacred space at the Bio Pond for the survivors only. Survivors deserve to have their privacy and freedoms respected. We need to realize the basic truth: that this evening is a night for the survivors. It is their night to heal, an evening to give them peace and support. I believe and hope that with my ideas we can make everyone feel satisfied that a compromise has been made and give the evening of "Take Back the Night" the true meaning and essence of its name. Sexual violence is a serious and important concern for college campuses across the nation, but it can only be prevented when we all, men and women, increase our awareness, educate ourselves and listen to the voices of the survivors that have been ignored and silenced all this time. Do something about it. Please show your support in the fight against violent acts of crime by participating in "Take Back the Night." Take Back the Night" will be held on Thursday, April 3, 1997 at 7:00 p.m. on the College Green. If you are a survivor who would like to speak out please inform Gloria Gay at the Women's Center or Titi Yu at 898-4661 or tyu@mail.sas.upenn.edu.