Officials are considering demolishing the high rises, Rodin said yesterday. The University plans to build new residences on the north side of campus and may demolish the high rises, University President Judith Rodin announced at University Council yesterday. "Superblock seems, to me, a real missed opportunity for this University," Rodin said. "I think we can rectify the error." In its study of University residences, the consulting firm Biddison Hier will look at all options, including demolition of the Superblock area. "We've told [Biddison Hier] that restoration, renovation and take-down are all viable alternatives," Rodin said. New residences built in the next decade may include apartment houses, townhouses and family homes, according to Rodin. The University has not built any new dormitories on campus in more than 20 years, she said. Residences in the north area of campus will benefit from the construction of the new Sansom Commons area, she added. In conjunction with the project, the graduate towers will undergo renovations and repairs as well. The University is also targeting the Quadrangle and Stouffer residences for major renovations. "Stouffer is a mess," Rodin said. Sections of the Quadrangle are still unrenovated, and most of the dormitory is not wired for ResNet. Although administrators want to address the housing issue immediately, the results of Biddison Hier's residential planning study are likely to be seen in a series of long-term projects over the next decade, Executive Vice President John Fry said.