With video images, poetry and songs of peace, members of the University community and friends of Kathy Change commemorated her life and beliefs at a memorial service last night. Change immolated herself in front of the peace sign on College Green last Tuesday. Approximately 70 people attended the memorial held at Bodek Lounge in Houston Hall. The service was organized by the Office of the Chaplain in cooperation with Change's friends. According to University Chaplain William Gipson, the memorial was held to remember Change and to offer some comfort and support for people who were on the Green the day she died. "We want to answer some of the questions this community might have of who exactly was Kathy Change," Gipson said. The service began with a video collage of Change dancing on the Green superimposed on pages containing poetry and essays Change had written. An audio tape of Change singing and playing the guitar played in the background during the video. Anita King, a friend of Change, read a biography detailing Change's childhood in Massachusetts and then her time spent in Philadelphia. "Her final act of heroism convinced me of the depth of her convictions," King said. A video of Change discussed her belief in the transformation of society toward a more peaceful community. "Why should we suffer another day longer," Change asks in the video. In sharing his thoughts on Change, Education doctoral student Mike Liskey, a Daily Pennsylvanian columnist, encouraged everyone to view Change's death as a starting point for reform in society. Pamela Africa, a survivor of the Philadelphia Police bombing of the MOVE house in 1985, discussed Change's deep-rooted convictions. "Now that she's brought attention to [the problems with society], what are you going to do about it?" Africa asked those attending the memorial. Liskey said he did not know Change as well as he hoped to. "I figured she'd be around forever," he said. "Unfortunately, I was wrong." Mary Gabriele, who performed with Change on the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Sundays, read poetry written by Change, including her poem "The Original White Man." A few students attended the service, but most of the audience was comprised of Change's friends. College sophomore Danny Pitt-Stoller said he attended the memorial service because Change touched him personally, although he had only spoken with her a few times on the Green. "The work she did -- the dancing and distributing of literature -- I admire," Pitt-Stoller said. "I have respect for her as an activist." The formal portion of the service ended with a candlelight procession to the peace sign on the Green. Many held their candles, while others put them in the ground next to the sculpture. People then shared personal anecdotes, feelings and comments about Change. A Hospital of the University Pennsylvania operator, who said she did not know Change personally but fielded many phone calls regarding the incident, expressed her emotion in song.