Houston Hall's Bagel Builders shut its doors for good Thursday afternoon, to the disappointment of students expecting a bagel and cup of coffee for breakfast the next morning. "It was very frustrating to have made plans and then to walk up to a closed gate and see that I wouldn't be having a bagel," College sophomore Elisa Stein said. "The alternative food options were less than satisfactory." According to Associate Director of Student Life Tom Hauber, the store closed unexpectedly due to financial difficulties within its franchise group. "[The group] fell on hard times," he said. "They have had to close five or six stores in the area." Hauber said the University wants to replace Bagel Builders with a similar operation. Those companies under consideration include Manhattan Bagel Company, which has taken over several area Bagel Builders in the last few months. Manhattan Bagel spokesperson Bill Parness said though he is unaware of the potential deal, hiscompany is interested in acquiring the Bagel Builders franchise group that includes the Penn site. Hauber said Manhattan Bagel is not among the potential replacement companies he has talked with thus far. "I have spoken with two or three companies and made a lot of progress since Friday," Hauber said. "The top contender wants until Wednesday to put some numbers together," he said, refusing to reveal the name of that company. "But considering the time of year -- with students here -- we hope to have something in that space within the next two weeks."