They look for things that go bump in the night.They look for things that go bump in the night.Exciting, yes. Scary? You bet. The crack of a tree branch pierces the silence of a clear October night. Wharton junior John Brightbill freezes, the hairs on the back of his neck bristling, and peers out into the shadowy darkness of St. Mark's Square. Clutching a radio in his right hand, Brightbill trains his flashlight at the open gate of a nearby house. He and his partner, College freshman Marc Cohen, wait. And listen. This time, Brightbill can't locate the source of the noise and the two are forced to continue their patrol. After all, investigating things that go bump in the night is just a part of a day's work for Penn Watch, the University's student-run campus safety program. Penn Watch, which is modeled after "town watch" programs throughout the nation, is designed to provide police with an extra set of eyes and ears by conducting foot patrols through the off-campus areas where many students live. Armed with two-way radios, cellular phones, police scanners, powerful flashlights and clipboards and dressed in matching blue and gold jackets and hats, Penn Watch members acts as "walking blue light phones," according to Brightbill, Penn Watch's president. The group, which has about 30 members, also conducts seminars designed to increase students' awareness of safety issues, Brightbill said. But what would compel students to walk through West Philadelphia between 10 p.m. and 1 a.m. looking for crime? As they assembled in the Police Mini Station on Walnut Street before the first Penn Watch patrols of the semester Monday night, members gave widely varying reasons for their involvement. For Engineering and Wharton junior Shane Lipson, Penn Watch's vice chairperson for special services, it was being the victim of a crime himself. For Joe Riggio, a Wharton senior, it was a desire to support the police. But for many, it's the adrenaline rush Penn Watch members get while on patrol. All of the group's members said it was an exciting experience. Exciting, yes. Scary? You bet. "It's a little spooky out here," Cohen said as he and Brightbill walked down 42nd Street Monday, using their flashlights to disperse the jagged shadows cast by the trees lining both sides of the street. Like all Penn Watch members, Cohen went through a two-hour training session with University Police before being allowed to go on patrol. But Cohen is a rookie. Monday night was his first patrol and the College freshman seemed a bit edgy. "I'm not nervous, just wise," Cohen said of his cautious behavior while on patrol. And once back in the secure environs of the Police Mini Station, Cohen said he was glad to have helped make West Philadelphia a safer place -- at least for one night. University Police is glad, too. "We totally are thrilled that young men and ladies are willing to go out and help make this community safer with the full support of the police," said Maureen Rush, director of Victim Support and Special Services. Rush said that Penn Watch needs more members and that she and other police officials are hoping that fraternities and sororities -- which have been concerned about safety off-campus -- will get involved in the group. Penn Watch has already assisted police. Monday night, Rush called Brightbill on his cellular phone to tell him Penn Watch should be on the lookout for smashed car windows in the wake of a rash of recent thefts from automobiles in the campus area. Less than an hour later, Brightbill and Cohen discovered three cars, all apparently broken into, parked in the lot near the former Acme supermarket at 43rd and Locust streets. University Police officers were soon on the scene. And the sight of the blue and gold jackets of Penn Watch members walking through the neighborhood was a welcome one to most members of the West Philadelphia community. "Glad you guys are here," said one man as he walked home late Monday night. "We need you." Like traditional beat cops, Penn Watch members try to get to know the people they see on their patrols. Brightbill and Cohen paused to talk to several people lounging on their front porches Monday. Everyone seemed pleased to see them. Of course, there were some funny looks. "What are you guys, police?" one student asked as a Penn Watch patrol breezed past her on the corner of 41st and Locust streets. "No, we're Penn Watch," replied College senior Gregory Montanaro, Penn Watch vice chair of patrols, as he proudly tipped his hat to her.