University President Judith Rodin is one in a million. Or at least one in a hundred, according to Newsweek. Along with Vice President Al Gore, Detroit Piston Grant Hill and fashion designer Donna Karan, Rodin is listed as one of the nation's "Overclass 100." The Overclass 100 is "an unscientific list of 100 members of the new overclass," according to the article in the July 31 issue. "They are among the country's comers, the newest wave of important and compelling people," it says. But this is just the most recent example of Rodin national recognition. Since her inauguration she has been sought after by many organizations and companies. Earlier this summer, she was elected to the Board of Directors of Aetna Life & Casualty insurance company. Aetna Chairperson Ronald Compton said the corporation selected Rodin because of her "distinguished academic career, expertise in health care delivery and broad understanding of the issues facing society." Rodin is also currently a member of the Board of Directors of the Greater Philadelphia First Corporation, which is comprised of 32 leaders of the largest corporations in the region. The committee's purpose is to work with other organizations in the region to improve the educational opportunities available to the next generation of scholars. And she is one of only two university presidents named to the President's Committee of Advisors on Science and Technology. Rodin said she always has the University in mind when she is serving in her other capacities. "I see the opportunity to turn whatever interests people have in me as a way of getting Penn's message out," she said. "So I am always in committees and in any national exposure trying to talk about what we are doing here and why what we are doing is groundbreaking." She added that she only chooses to serve on committees that will enable her to make a difference on issues that are important to the University community. Rodin said she limits the number of offers she accepts, because they are time-consuming. She accepted a position on Aetna's board because its issues directly relate to the University Medical Center's own health care system. "I chose that one and turned down several others that I felt were not as relevant to issues that I was confronting at Penn," Rodin said. Rodin's dedication to the Philadelphia community motivated her to join the board of the Greater Philadelphia First. "I certainly think that she has taken on an active role in terms of seeing the University as very much a part of this community," said Mary Gregg, deputy director of the organization. "And in that sense she is very reflective of the type of member we like to have as a member of Philadelphia First." And Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Carol Scheman said Rodin's service on the President's Committee is "enormously important to the University because we are a research University and so much of our future is tied to research." Scheman added that since the federal government is now rethinking the funding it will allocate for research, Rodin's presence on the committee will insure that the University's direct needs are represented. And University spokesperson Barbara Beck said Rodin's leadership skills make her a successful president. "She has vision, confidence, optimism and the ability to get things done fast," she said. "Those are the qualities needed to command a world class institution like the University of Pennsylvania."