The committee searching for a permanent Vice Provost for University Life at the University is getting close to making its recommendation to Provost Stanley Chodorow, according to VPUL Committee Chairperson and Undergraduate Mathematics Chairperson Dennis DeTurck. "I think we will be ready before too long," he said, adding that he is almost certain the committee will make its recommendation before the semester starts. DeTurck added that the committee is only looking at candidates from within the University community. "But not necessarily within the division of University Life," he said. "It can be from other places in the University." Chodorow began the search for a permanent VPUL last spring. Acting VPUL Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum has occupied the post since Kim Morrison, executive director of the 21st Century Project on the Undergraduate Experience, departed in December 1993. McCoullum is one of the candidates for the permanent position. Chodorow added that while he has not given the committee an "absolute deadline" on the search project, he has urged it to complete its work. And the search for a new University Police Commissioner is also coming along well, according to Executive Vice President John Fry. The initial group of more than 70 applicants has been reduced to "a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4," he said on Monday. Fry said he is very happy with the resulting group of applicants. "It's a really great pool," he said. He added that his next step is to bring the candidates to select groups of students and faculty on campus to see what they think. "Based on their feedback, I am going to make my recommendation to the president," Fry said. "And at that point we will make an announcement." He added that he wants to move quickly because he is "very anxious to get the person on the board as quickly as possible." "I would love to see groups set up by the early part of August and see a decision made by mid-August," Fry said. "The person should be ready to start sometime in early fall."