Main walkway to named Wynn Commons University Trustee and alumnus Stephen Wynn has committed $7.5 million to the Perelman Quadrangle, according to University President Judith Rodin. And with this gift, the University is halfway to completing the full expense of the project, she said. "We have $20 million from Mr. Perelman and $7.5 million from Mr. Wynn and $2.5 million from class gifts that we got from the last alumni week grouping," she added. "So we already have $30 million towards the project and we have literally just announced it." Wynn, who graduated from the College of Arts and Sciences with a degree in English Literature in 1963, is Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer of Mirage Resorts Inc. -- one of the nation's largest casino companies. He has been credited with being the first to bring entertainment to gambling, making Las Vegas a place for the whole family to enjoy. Wynn donated the money to help with the construction of the common area that lies between Irvine Auditorium and Logan, Williams and Houston Halls. This area will be named Wynn Commons. The project involves the renovation and restoration of the four buildings to create student offices, meeting rooms, eating and lounge areas, rehearsal and gallery space and an auditorium with variable seating arrangements. Rodin said Wynn expressed interest in the Perelman Quad early in its planning stages. "When we first presented the potential Perelman Quad project to the Trustees in January, Steve got very excited by the project and asked me to alert him in how we were doing," she said. She added that while she has known about Wynn's intention to donate this money for a while, she waited to announce the gift until the Trustees met Thursday morning. Rodin said Wynn is very committed to the concept of a main street where people can congregate. "As somebody whose business is spaces where people meet and come together and engage in a variety of activities, I think he realized the power of this space," she added. "And we are very grateful for that." Wynn serves on the University Trustees' Budget and Finance and External Affairs Committees. And his wife Elaine is a member of the Board of Overseers of the University's Graduate School of Education. Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations Virginia Clark said Wynn has contributed to several University fund-raising programs in the past, but that this is his largest gift to date. "He thinks the project is terrific," she said. "He is very supportive in our plans?and wanted to be helpful in making it come to fruition." Rodin said she hopes to have a few more major gifts towards the Perelman Quad by the end of the summer. The total price of the project is now estimated at $69 million, and $9 million in deferred maintenance funding has already been allocated and used for the repair of Logan Hall's exterior. Construction of the student center is expected to take 36 months. Rodin said she hopes the project will start this fall.