With hushed and saddened voices, friends of 1993 University graduate Kathleen Sullivan gathered earlier this month in Houston Hall to talk about the poverty crusader's contributions to society and her tragic death. Sullivan was killed on April 11 when a drunken driver hit her as she rode her bike along Larchwood Street, near 47th Street. Those in mourning spoke of Sullivan's tireless work in fighting poverty in Philadelphia and across the country. Her friends and co-workers also said Sullivan will be missed not only by her friends and family, but also by the many lives she touched in Philadelphia's impoverished neighborhoods. Sullivan, a leader of the Kite and Key Society and founder of the Penn Volunteer Network, was always involved in community service at the University, even after she graduated, founding the Active Community Coalition Efforts Sponsored by Students. College sophomore Erika Leslie, head of Penn Volunteer Network, said Sullivan was the inspiration for her own volunteer efforts. "Kathleen was my role model," Leslie said. "She spent hours tirelessly and selflessly aiding victims of poverty. "Kathleen dedicated her short life to the betterment of humanity," she added. "She was passionate about learning, studying and understanding the world around her, both locally and internationally, so as to change the world." College friend Heather Conahan said Sullivan influenced her and others at the University. "She was the most compassionate person I'll ever know," Conahan said. "She touched my life the way no one else has." A memorial fund in Sullivan's name has been set up to continue to support the work to which she dedicated her life. Contributions made to the fund will benefit the Annie Smart Foundation, which addresses the resource needs of organizations working to combat poverty.