When graduating seniors first arrived at the University in 1991, scaffolding surrounded Logan Hall. But if the weather cooperates and all goes as planned, seniors will be able to get their first unobstructed view of the building's exterior just in time for Commencement. According to Physical Plant Executive Director James Wargo, all of the scaffolding surrounding the building should be completely removed by May 23. Plans also call for the tarp covering the front of College Hall to be removed in time for Alumni Weekend so visitors can see the progress being made on the building's ongoing renovation. But if rain or last minute problems plague workers, the Class of 1995 will have to wait for future alumni weekends to see the restored buildings. Vice President of Facilities Management Art Gravina said the finishing steps on the outside of both buildings would not be rushed in order to meet the time deadline. "While we want to show it off, we worked too hard and won't want it done in a mediocre way," Gravina said. "I don't want to have the scaffold down and then have to rebuild it." Logan Hall has undergone renovations since 1989, when University officials first decided to repair the building's aging roof. "Then we found the chimney was a disaster and and the whole building needed repair," Gravina said. "It became evident we couldn't do anything the way we originally approached it." After the renovation process was reevaluated, occupants of departmental offices and classrooms in the building were relocated. Renovation then began again. "It didn't go quite as planned," Gravina said. But now, six years after the renovations first started, Logan Hall's exterior is nearly complete. "The exterior of the building will be structurally sound and totally rehabilitated," Gravina said, adding that the reconstruction should provide another 50 years of life for the building before additional repairs will be required. Facilities Management is also working with the School of Arts and Sciences -- which had numerous departments originally housed in Logan Hall -- to determine how the interior will be designed, reworked and restored. These plans will depend on the design of the new Perelman Quadrangle, the construction of which affects Logan, along with Houston Hall, Williams Hall and Irvine Auditorium. At this point, the Perelman plans for Logan include restoring the building's "grand staircase" and skylight, as well as creating a "dramatic" entranceway. Officials are also planning to hasten the renovation of College Hall this summer by moving the History Department from the building in August, Gravina said. Other work to both buildings will be completed over the summer.