Dies from gunshot and Amy Lipman College senior Jared Whitacre committed suicide in his off-campus residence at 24th and Spruce streets Friday evening. Whitacre's housemate, 1994 University graduate Stephen Dodd, discovered Whitacre's body at approximately 7 p.m. and then notified Philadelphia Police. According to Philadelphia Police Officer Liz Kries, responding officers found Whitacre lying on a bed on the third floor of the residence with a gunshot wound through his right temple. A .22 caliber Colt single-action revolver with one round spent was found near his body. Philadelphia Fire Rescue responded to the scene after being contacted by the police and found Whitacre dead upon arrival, Kries said. Dodd said that he was not satisfied with the way the police handled the situation, however. An officer had told Dodd that Philadelphia Police would contact Whitacre's parents. But Dodd said the police only left an ambiguous message with Whitacre's uncle in West Virginia, forcing Dodd to break the news to Whitacre's relatives himself. College senior Sandra Kim -- a close friend of Whitacre -- said he had been depressed since spring break, primarily because he was having trouble coping with family problems, coupled with mounting academic and financial pressures. Whitacre, whom Dodd characterized as being extremely industrious and intelligent, worked several jobs to pay for his tuition. And because Whitacre was a transfer student from the University of Miami, he had to take a demanding course load to make up transfer credits. "It's a shame that he didn't make it all the way," 1993 University graduate Mark Eggerts, also a housemate, said. "He worked hard for it." "Certainly harder than most people," Dodd added. Because Whitacre spent so much time working part-time jobs, he did not have an active social life and at times seemed very withdrawn, Dodd continued. "He had the the ability to keep his distance," Dodd said. "He was independent in good ways and bad ways." Housemate and 1994 University graduate Jen Kaus added that Whitacre "really did have a great sense of humor when you finally sat down to get to know him." And Kim said Whitacre was "fun loving," despite his depression. "He was good to be with," she said. "He really liked to talk to people, and he liked to listen also. He understood people, and that's how I remember him." Assistant Vice Provost for University Life Barbara Cassel acknowledged that many students are under stress, particularly during this time of year. "I think it's important that they know of the resources available on campus through Student Health, the Women's Center and religious resources so they feel free to be in touch with [them] when they are feeling pressure and stressful," she said last night. Eggerts said he and his housemates have all been contacted by Cassel since Friday. He added that he was satisfied with the University's response to the situation. Kries said Philadelphia Police detectives are continuing to investigate the death. Daily Pennsylvanian staff writer Josh Fineman contributed to this article.