Debate on Maple, the mathematics computer software program, continued at Sunday night's Undergraduate Assembly meeting. The controversial program, implemented last year to assist freshmen in introductory calculus courses, was included in the UA freshman committee's threefold proposal. UA representative and College freshman Tal Golomb said instead of receiving only one credit for Calculus 140 and 141 classes, students should be required to take a one-hour laboratory section that would instruct them in proper use of Maple. According to the proposal, the lab would be taught by a teaching assistant "who demonstrates a full knowledge and understanding of Maple," and will add .5 credits to the course. The proposal also calls for the Mathematics Department to revise the Calculus 150 and 151 courses by cutting Maple from the curriculum entirely. Software that is more "suitable" for 150 and 151 students should be implemented in its place, Golomb said. But Mathematics Department Chairperson Dennis DeTurck cautioned against making such drastic changes before a substitute can be found. Last night, the UA announced that students enrolled in introductory level calculus courses will form a committee to test possible programs to replace Maple. "We've got support from Dr. DeTurck," Golomb said. Several UA members questioned the legitimacy of hour-long laboratory sections. UA member and College sophomore Seth Gribetz expressed concern about TA's ability to teach students Maple. "Calculus TA's I had last year weren't trained," Gribetz said. "Something [should be done] to get TA's up to par." UA representative and Wharton freshman Hester Wong said the problem is "something that is definitely being looked into." Another problem discussed during the meeting was whether a replacement program is necessary in the 150 and 151 courses. "I don't think it's necessary to introduce a whole new program to confuse them," said UA representative and College sophomore Josh Gottheimer. He proposed that a "more user-friendly" program be added if necessary. In response to the UA members' thoughts on Maple, Golomb said computer programs are necessary in mathematics courses. "It gives students a chance to use computers," said Golomb. "The conceptual ideas they learn can be seen in a practical way." "Students need Maple, especially for higher level [mathematics] classes," he added. Despite the amount of questions the freshman committee fielded from the body regarding the proposal, it passed with a unanimous vote. UA Chairperson and Wharton junior Dan Debicella said he hopes the committee can begin negotiations with the Mathematics Department in the spring and implement the proposal changes by next fall.