Lafayette entered Franklin Field as the proud favorite to win the Patriot League title. With all-American Erik Marsh leading the offense, there was no doubt the Leopard offense would put points on the board. Doubt crept into the Lafayette locker room Saturday courtesy of last season's best defense in the Ivy League. The Leopard offense, which averaged 24.6 points per game a year ago, was unable to produce any offensive points the entire contest. The Quaker defense did something even last year's squad could not accomplish --Eshut an opponent out. "We play for a shut out every time we go out," senior co-captain Michael Turner said. "We still don't like to see that '7' on the board, but there are some things we can't control. I'm not worried though." Turner has no reason to be worried after Saturday's domination of the Leopards. Lafayette barely entered Penn's half of the field all day. Besides one drive, which ended with a Michael Juliano-Pat Goodwillie blocked field goal attempt, the Leopards did not traverse more than two yards into Quaker territory until only backups remained on the field. The Leopards had to know there would be problems early. In their very first possession, they traveled a net total of two yards. And when the final gun sounded, Lafayette had only averaged 2.5 yards per play. "The defense played hard," coach Al Bagnoli said. "We made them earn most of their yards." Lafayette's job was made even tougher thanks to the big-play Penn defense. After early adjustments, the Quakers shut down Marsh, who only had 25 second-half yards. That allowed the defensive line to explode on whichever quarterback the Leopards sent in. "If and when we get pressure, it's a cumulative threat," said Turner, who recorded two sacks. "When the quarterback's throwing off his heels, it makes it easier for the backs." And that is exactly what happened as Lafayette quarterback Joe Clair was running for his life all afternoon. While being pressured by Mike Silvey, Clair tossed one up. Unfortunately for the Leopards, Penn defensive back Jamie Daniels grabbed the pigskin and returned it 28 yards for a touchdown. "I hope they throw at me," Daniels said. "I know the defensive line can put pressure on them and make them throw a bad pass." And bad passes seemed to be in fashion for the Lafayette quarterbacks, who completed only 12 of 35 attempts. During Mike Talerico's stint taking snaps, he managed to throw one interception, throw at least 10 passes away under pressure and get acquainted with Franklin Field's Astroturf on three separate occasions. So obviously, Lafayette's all-time winningest coach, Bill Russo, turned to Clair. If it was possible, things got worse. Clair, under constant pressure from the Quakers' front five, overthrew wide receivers, skipped passes off the turf and tried to avoid Penn defensive linemen. And as bad as things got, they could have been even worse for the Leopards. Daniels dropped two possible interceptions, one when senior safety Nick Morris delivered one of his patented hits. Clair, who was under constant pressure but was never sacked, barely avoided a safety in the third quarter. Penn running back Terrance Stokes fumbled on the Lafayette four-yard line. And Lafayette even converted five third downs and two fourth downs. "We played fair," Daniels said. "We did not play exceptionally well. We played in spurts." But for one hot afternoon in September, those spurts were enough to overwhelm Lafayette. The high-powered Leopard offense, which led them to a second-place finish in the Patriot League and a 5-4-2 record last season, left Franklin Field dejected, having seen enough of the best defensive unit in the Ivy League.