Although the Philadelphia Five-Year Plan does not list the Civic Center as marketable city real estate, a University official maintained yesterday that the University will eventually buy it. The Civic Center, located at 34th Street and Civic Center Boulevard adjacent to University property, was not mentioned as a piece of property the city may sell. But Robert Zemsky, director of planning for the University, said he remains confident the University will purchase the center. Zemsky announced last semester, as part of the University's 30-year plan to be written next fall, that the University will buy the Civic Center in order to expand the Medical Center. Although a new Pennsylvania Convention Center in Center City will be completed in 1994 which will take away the bulk of the Civic Center's business, city officials contend that shows will still be held in the Civic Center. City officials said last semester that shows are booked through 1996 at the Civic Center. Zemsky said yesterday that he remains optimistic about the University eventually buying the Civic Center. He added that buying the Civic Center is a long-term goal and may not happen for 10 years. "Nothing is going to discourage me at this point," Zemsky said. "Clearly this is long-term, and in time, [the University] will work it out." Zemsky emphasized that the University "needs" the Civic Center, which could cost the University $60 million, to expand the Medical Center. "For the interest of the hosptial, we need to make it happen," Zemsky said. "There are a variety of ways possible [to buy the Civic Center], and the proper steps are being taken."