ARCO Chemical Company announced last month that it will award $250,000 to University researchers as part of a program to support science programs for underrepresented minorities. Michael Brennan, director of corporation and funding relations at the University, said ARCO will give the University the money over a five year period. The money is to be distributed to the seven different schools within the University. Most recently, ARCO presented $50,000 to the Wharton School to support an MBA program for minority and international student fellowships. ARCO officials said last month that the corporation will award 17 major research universities an annual grant of $450,000. This grant is to be distributed to the universities in individual installments ranging from $10,000 to $50,000. Overall, this money is to support either chemical engineering and science programs, or help establish funding to support under-represented minorities in science and math disciplines. "ARCO has a long tradition of giving to education both at the secondary and college levels," said Gerald Davis, director of public affairs at ARCO. "If you took a cross section of minority students going into science, you'd find there are fewer than would be expected. The idea is to promote cultural diversity." Stephen Cohen, manager of ARCO contributions, explained that the size of the individual grants is determined by the relation that ARCO has to each university. With one of ARCO's central research sites located in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, the University stands to benefit greatly by the generosity of ARCO Chemical. "ARCO has traditionally been generous [to the University] in support," Brennan said. "It recognizes the University's mission in higher education."