McGinn Security Services, the private security firm which provides guards for campus dormitories, has hired at least two minors to act as building guards without the University's knowledge. Flora Lea Louden, the Residential Living official that acts as the liaison between McGinn and the University, said Monday she was unaware of the hiring policies. "It's my understanding that they do not hire people between 17 and 15," Louden said. But yesterday, Residential Living Director Gigi Simeone said that the University found two minors serving as guards, and transferred one of them out of building security Tuesday. "Our hope is that all people [working for security] are mature and are able to make sound judgements," Simeone said. "Because of our conversation, the younger employee will not be working as residential security worker." Simeone said that the other employee, who is "almost 18" has not been transferred. "There were two employees under 18," she said. "They're both doing a good job. We have, of course, some concerns." But 16-year-old Garrett Johnson, a University City High School student and a McGinn employee, said there are three or four high school students working for the security company. Johnson said he has been working at McGinn for about five months. "My brother got me the job," Johnson said. "He had a job here, and when I got older, he brought home an application for me. I filled it out and sent it out the next day, and the day after that they called me up." "I had no problems getting the job," said Johnson. He also said he had put his age on the application. Although child labor laws prohibit some areas from hiring children, security work is not restricted. The only restrictions are on the number of hours a person under 18 can work. Minors are legally permitted to work for security companies, providing they do not have to carry a gun. McGinn has had a history of personnel problems with the University. In 1989, McGinn came under fire for not performing adequate background checks on security guards, after a guard was arrested for disorderly conduct while on duty at Van Pelt College House. The guard reportedly had had a "lengthy" police record.