Approximately 75 abortion rights supporters gathered on College Green for a rally and candlelight vigil last night, calling for students to become more involved in politics and to vote in upcoming elections. The demonstrators represented a cross-section of the University community, including students involved in undergraduate and graduate student government, the Progressive Student Alliance and Republicans for Choice. Students signed letters to be sent to Republican Richard Thornburgh and Democrat Harris Wofford, the two candidates competing for the Senate seat, saying they intended to vote for candidates who support legal abortion. Speeches by leaders of the rally were interspersed with chants of, "Clap your hands, raise your voice. U. of Penn is pro-choice." One lone woman stood silent, separate from the 75 students gathered by the College Green peace sign, holding a blue sign which said "Abortion is murder." Regina Cummings, a University graduate who currently works for the Physics Department, said her sign spoke for itself. "If no one else came, that wouldn't invalidate what I am doing," Cummings said. "The truth is the truth." College junior Raji Jagadeesan led the rally, using a megaphone to urge students to become involved in politics and to vote. She said that in the two decades before the Roe v. Wade decision, when abortion was outlawed, one million women per year sought illegal abortions. "This should never happen again," Jagadeesan said. Karen Idra, a College sophomore, spoke on behalf of Republicans for Choice. "Even if you are Republican, you can be pro-choice," she said, adding that 68 percent of Republican voters support abortion rights. She said that demonstrators should go to the Republican convention in Houston, Texas, to try and change the party's platform. Though most of the students present were women, one man spoke and several said they felt the issue was of importance to all people. "Considering that there was only one pro-life person down there and all of us up here . . . we are the ones who will prevail. We are the un-silent majority," College freshman Naim Peress said. Michael Polgar, a Sociology graduate student, said the issue has a direct impact on all men. "As Martin Luther King said, 'If some of us are unfree, all of us are unfree.' Men have to take responsibility for their sexuality, too," Polgar said.