At its first meeting of the year last night, Faculty Senate Executive Committee members spent much of their time complaining about the possibility of salary cuts. According to Senate Chairperson and Social Work Professor Louise Shoemaker, salary and the use of money from state funding was the major topic of discussion. Faculty have been upset that money the University had expected to be cut from its state appropriation but was later restored is not going toward salaries. "The major issue was the administrative decision about how the money would be used," Shoemaker said. "There was quite a bit of dismay that it was not used for salaries." Past Secretary and Associate Philosophy Professor Gary Hatfield said the faculty is curious to know exactly where the money will be going. "It's fair to say that the faculty is extremely interested in learning from the president and provost how the restored millions of dollars will be used," Hatfield said. "Because of the impending crunch all sorts of cuts were made. They really want to know whether faculty research funds and graduate student research funds that were due to be increased are going to be." Shoemaker said SEC will invite President Sheldon Hackney and Provost Michael Aiken to the next SEC meeting in October to discuss the problem. Also, Shoemaker said the president and provost will be invited to future SEC meetings on alternating months. The committee also voted to create a task force, composed of five members, to make recommendations to speed up the "just cause procedure," which is part of the process of dismissing faculty. "Because it is so serious, faculty at the University are reluctant to vote for the dismissal of their peers," Shoemaker said. "That's why the procedure needs to be speeded up." Shoemaker said she hopes to have the task force set up by the next meeting. Nominations were also taken for a new open position on the Senate Committee on Academic Freedom and Responsibility. The results are expected to be announced early next week. This was the first meeting of the school year with the new senate board. Shoemaker moved into her new position as chair, with Almarin Phillips as past-chair and David Hildebrand as chair-elect. Shoemaker said she was pleased with the turnout of about 30 faculty and with the discussion. "A lot of forceful things were said," Shoemaker said. "The faculty is up to its usual good form of vehemently discussing the issues set before them."