A Veterinary School researcher's year-long grievance proceeding against the University neared its conclusion last week as the Faculty Senate Grievance Commission forwarded its recommendation on the case to Provost Michael Aiken. The report, which is confidential, reflects a three-person faculty panel's judgement on the tenure grievance of former Vet School oncologist Ann Jeglem, arrived at after extensive court-style hearings conducted over the past year. The opinion could side with either the University or Jeglem, and could recommend restitution in the event the University is found at fault. Jeglem received word of the recommendation a week ago while on vacation. She declined to comment Tuesday night on the recommendation or her grievance proceedings, citing the confidential nature of the information. Jeglem was first denied tenure in the summer of 1989, but did not leave the University until February 15 of this year. Grievance Committee Chairperson Kenneth George said yesterday that he expects a decision from the provost on the panel's decision within the next week, but stressed that the panel's report to the provost is only a recommendation. He declined to comment further on the report but added that the year-long case, which began in April 1990, was finally coming to a close. According to Faculty Policies and Procedures, the provost has some latitude in how soon he considers the commission's recommendation and to what extent he acts on it. "While the panel's report is to be accorded great weight, it is advisory to and not binding upon the provost," the policies state. "The provost's decision shall be made and communicated in writing within six weeks." However, Deputy Provost Richard Clelland said yesterday that the policies grant additional time during the summer although the recommendation has reached the provost's office and is being considered. "In the summer, things stretch out longer than they do during the year," Clelland said. "But I dare say that it will get a response fairly soon." Vet School Dean Edwin Andrews said yesterday that the school is awaiting the provost's decision and will abide by it. Although he had seen the report to the provost, he would not comment on the recommendation itself. While at the University, Jeglem acted as chief of Oncology in the Vet School, worked at the school's Small Animal Hospital and spent more than five years researching new treatments for certain forms of canine cancer, under funding from the American Kennel Club. Faculty Senate chairperson Louise Shoemaker is in Africa and could not be reached for comment.