The Grammy Award-winning folk duo Indigo Girls will headline this year's Spring Fling, which will be held on April 19 and 20, Fling organizers announced last night. The band from Decatur, Georgia, was selected over four weeks ago and, after receiving a bid from Fling leaders, accepted about two weeks ago. "[The decision] was a combination of what was available, what was within our budget, and what the campus would appreciate, to fit the atmosphere of Fling," said Rob Cohen, a Fling co-director. "With their new album, [recently-released nomads*indians*saints], they are gaining in popularity," SPEC Concerts co-director Stacy Feld said last night. Organizers said the duo will bring an opening band with them and the Fling committee will hire a third band to open the show. They said the local band, which has not yet been selected, will be chosen to appeal to a diverse range of students. "Hopefully, we can touch those people who would say at first, 'Indigo Girls, that's not exactly what I wanted to hear,' " said Ed Gold, a SPEC Concerts co-director. "Our objective overall has been to have an event that people would be excited about and would want to go to," said Fling co-director Denise Rubin. "We just wanted something that people would like." For the first time in several years, the concert will be held outdoors this year at Hill Field. Fling co-director Todd Fruchterman said the committee decided to have it outdoors "to keep it relaxed and fun, and give it a Fling atmosphere." Organizers said they hope to attract between 4,000 and 5,000 students to the show. Irvine Auditorium, the venue for past Fling concerts, seats only about 1,800 people. Due to the co-sponsorship, tickets will sell for $6 dollars, but students who buy tickets when they go on sale this weekend will get them for only $5. Tickets for last year's show featuring Meatloaf sold for over $10. "The ticket price is less than going to a movie," Gold said. "It would be tough to find anything to do for less than $5." "Our intention was to be able to have a concert that the majority of students would be able to attend both physically and financially," Cohen said. This year for the first time, Fling directors worked with leaders of the Social Planning and Events Committee. Members of both groups praised the joint effort, saying it enabled them to organize a bigger event than if Fling had worked alone. "It's no longer one committee looking to get what the campus wants," Gold said. "You've got more ideas coming together." Bill Nicklin, another SPEC leader agreed, saying "without coordination under SPEC, you wouldn't be able to put together something this large." "This is what SPEC is designed for," Cohen added. Fling leaders also said last night that preparations for the daytime events in the Quadrangle on Friday and Saturday are proceeding, with about 18 performing groups set to entertain the crowds. About 20 vendors and various student groups are scheduled to sponsor booths in both the Upper and Lower Quad.