Approximately 35 people gathered Thursday night to view television excerpts about gay, lesbian and bisexual issues and to discuss the progression of media awareness about such issues. Steven Capsuto, a University graduate who is currently writing a book about homosexuality on network television, led the three-hour program, which included discussion about issues concerning the portrayal of gay, lesbian and bisexual people in the media, as well as how they are seen by viewers. Capsuto started the Houston Hall program with radio clips from the 1950s, which he said were the first examples of gay and lesbian issues being taken up in the media. "This shows how gay and lesbian issues were brought out, though only in a humorous context," Capsuto said. The excerpt was a dialogue between Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. The video clips were taken from television series, dramas and movies from the 1960s to current shows in order to show how gay and lesbian awareness and their portrayal on has gradually become an important issue. "With the seventies, there were more shows concerning the more serious issues of homosexual people -- such as parenting -- rather than treating them as good material for jokes," Capsuto said. "These shows that deal with gay and lesbian issues are very rare." The repetoire Capsuto presented included popular shows such as "Cheers," "All in the Family," "The Golden Girls" and "L.A. Law". Capsuto lauded the increase of episodes which seriously deal with issues such as gay rights in the military. "It is good that these shows are done," he said, "and that they are done well." The entire audience stayed for nearly three-and-a-half hours, watching the clips and participating in discussion. John Smothers, a junior at Drexel University, said that the program was "pretty informative," adding that further programs would help increase public awareness of gay, lesbian and bisexual issues. "I definitely think it is improving the situation," he said. Clarity Haynes, a Temple University sophomore, said there should be more unbiased exposure on television about gay and lesbian issues. "TV can cause people to think that they're living in a straight society," Haynes said. The program was part of Bisexual Gay Lesbian Awareness Days, sponsored by the the Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Alliance. "BGLAD" events will be held through Thursday.