The Art History department received a $2 million gift from University alumni last week that will be used for renovations to the building at 3400 Walnut Street this summer. Once renovated, the department will transfer operations to the building, which currently houses the Urban Studies department. Urban Studies is scheduled to move to Meyerson Hall this summer. College alumni Elliot and Roslyn Jaffe made the donation last week. Elliot Jaffe, who is chief executive officer of a national retail clothing corporation, said in a statement last week that he is "delighted" that the Art History department will have "a home of its own after many years of being housed in separate areas." Art History Acting Chairperson Malcolm Campbell said yesterday that he is "absolutely delighted" with the gift. "We are immensely grateful to the Jaffes," Campbell said. "The money is for renovation of the building, expansion of the department, and improvement of facilities." The Art History department, which is currently located in Meyerson Hall, will temporarily move to the Science Center at 3440 Market Street this summer, Campbell said, adding that they expect to remain there for the next 18 to 20 months. "There will be some inconvenience for faculty, not for students," he said. "The inconvenience is worth it . . . and all of our lectures will still be held in Meyerson." The acting chairperson said a committee of architects, Art History department members, students and other officials will decide the architectural structure of both the temporary and permanent locations for the department. School of Arts and Sciences Dean Hugo Sonnenschein said last night that "it's a wonderful gift and it's being used to expand and renovate this wonderful building." "During this last year I've gotten to know Roslyn and Elliot Jaffe very well," Sonnenschein said. "They are magnificent people and very deeply committed to undergraduate education." The donation, which is part of the University's $1 billion capital campaign comes near the midpoint of the five-year fundraising drive, which has raised about $600 million to date.