Loophole Productions made a successful debut in the University theater arts community last night with the opening of Exhibition and Manny and Jake before a small audience. Exhibition began dramatically with College junior Kent Davis, who played the Elephant Man, standing on the dimly lit stage with his arms straight out as though he were hanging on a crucifix. Davis and College junior Jeff Morrison, who played the Elephant Man's doctor, took turns giving monologues for the first half hour of the play, causing the play to drag somewhat. But once the characters started interacting, the play really shined. Morrison convincingly portrayed the doctor's pain at not being able to help the Elephant Man join society. The play's score, composed by College junior David Borden, accented the more important moments well, but at times the music drowned out the actors' voices. The music made the Elephant Man's distorted speech even more difficult to understand. The play's dark lighting, designed by College senior Kenly Ames, made the play more dramatic, especially in the scene where a mirror was lit up as the Elephant Man looked into it for the first time. The brightly lit stage and bright colors of the props and the costumes designed by College senior Katherine Sharkey in the second play, Manny and Jake, contrasted with the darkness in Exhibition. This play, which lasted only 20 minutes, used humor to lighten its serious plot, which dealt with an HIV carrier who refuses the advances of another gay man after one of his lovers died of AIDS. Davis played Manny, the HIV carrier, and Morrison was Jake. Morrison's portrayal of a gay man was very amusing. Davis' character was serious throughout the play and he effectively showed how painful it was for him to refuse the advances. The plays were directed by Seth Rozin, who graduated from the College in 1986. The plays will continue today and tomorrow at 8 p.m. in the Studio Theatre in the Annenberg Center. There will also be 2 p.m. matinees on Saturday and Sunday.