School of Arts and Sciences Dean Hugo Sonnenschein will leave the University in July to become the provost of Princeton University. Sonnenschein, appointed dean of the University's largest school in 1988, will officially become Princeton's provost on July 15th, but will continue his work at the University with weekly trips to Princeton this semester. He will replace outgoing Princeton Provost Paul Benacerraf, who announced his decision to step down last September. Benacerraf will remain at his post until Sonnenschein takes over. Sonnenschein said last night his decision was a difficult one. Sonnenschein served as an economics professor at Princeton for 12 years before being named SAS dean. President Sheldon Hackney said last night he is "sorry" to see Sonnenschein go and is sure he will do well in his new position. "He's done a superb job with the School of Arts and Sciences," Hackney said. "I'm sorry to see him leave with still more to do." Hackney, who was Princeton's provost in the early 1970's, said he and Provost Michael Aiken are already working to form a search committee for his replacement. Hackney said he will look first look inside SAS for a replacement, adding that the search may take up to a year. Past searches for SAS deans have taken approximately a year and have included up to 150 candidates. Sonnenschein, a graduate of the University of Rochester, visited Princeton late last year at the request of Princeton President Harold Shapiro and was told that he was one of several finalists being considered for the position. He was notified almost two weeks ago that he was selected for the postion and he said that he decided yesterday evening to accept the job. Sonnenschein notified both Hackney and Aiken when the job was first offered. "The president and the provost are two of my best friends, and I feel great affection for them," Sonnenschein said. "Both were very supportive." Sonnenschein was the school's fifth dean in SAS's 16-year history. Prior to SAS's 1974 creation, the University's liberal arts programs were devided up into the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Liberal Arts for Women and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. In 1974, the University reorganized the three schools and created the School of Arts and Sciences with a single dean. The first dean, Vartan Gregorian, left in 1979 to become University provost and is now president of Brown University. Robert Dyson served from 1979 to 1982, when he became head of the University Museum, a position he still holds. Former English Professor Joel Conarroe replaced Dyson and served for just a year-and-a-half. Conarroe has since left the University. In 1985, Aiken was appointed dean until he became provost in 1987. Sonnenschein said last night that despite the frequent change of deans, he does not view the position as a stepping stone to higher positions. "The position is one of extraordinary challenge and opportunity," he added. "It has been held by a collection of very talented people . . . and there's been a continual strengthening of the school." The rapid change of deans in the school has created concerns among faculty and administrators. Associate Dean for Social Sciences Ivar Berg said last night that "it creates problems in the sense that some things will have to go on hold." Sonnenschein praised the University last night and said he is thankful for his experiences. "I've been at Penn for almost three years, and I feel I've gotten to know the students and the place very well," he said. "I think the students should take particular pride in the quality of Penn . . . in Penn's ability to provide an environment which is always moving forward. They are as happy and gifted students as I've seen anywhere." Princeton's Benacerraf said yesterday he was pleased that Sonnenschein would return to Princeton to take his post. "The job did not fit the expectations I had," Benacerraf said last night. "It's very hard to find anyone with the combination of talents that Hugo has. I'm delighted." Sonnenschein is a fellow at the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and has served as president of the Econometric Society.