· 9-7-90 -- As 100,000 troops are deployed to form Operation Desert Shield, the announcement that a draft is unlikely settles students' worries. · 9-19-90 -- In the first forum at the University to debate the U.S. presence in the Gulf, hecklers interrupt the question-and-answer session to voice harsh opposition to the allied involvement in the Gulf crisis. · 9-21-90 -- As a direct result of rising oil prices due to the Gulf crisis, the University braces to lay out at least $1.5 million more for heating costs than originally budgeted. Administrators later announce that temperatures in administrative and residential buildings would be lowered to cut costs. · 10-9-90 -- A former Iraqi hostage speaks to more than 100 students, describing his experiences as a prisoner of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein. The brother of a University professor who was working for a Kuwaiti bank, he recounts a story of fear and anxiety as a 'human shield' after his capture. · 11-10-90 -- Peace Fest, a rally protesting the U.S. role in the crisis, is held as 150 demonstrators march from Superblock to College Green. Faculty and students addressed the crowd in the two-hour rally. · 11-10-90 -- Reserve Officer Training Corps members gather at the Palestra to mark Veterans' Day by honoring Americans who died in past wars. Hundreds of reserve officers and students turn out for the event. · 12-5-90 -- Many students, watching events unfold in the Middle East, opt to stay closer to home rather than travel to the embattled region during Winter Break. · 12-7-90 -- Experts advocate a peaceful solution in a broadcasted forum held at the Annenberg School. Over 100 students and area residents attend the two-hour long discussion. · 1-14-91 -- On the eve of the United Nations deadline for Iraq to withdraw from Kuwait, over 1000 protestors march from City Hall to Independence Hall, calling for a peaceful resolution to the crisis. Taking over streets and blocking traffic, the demonstators chant anti-war slogans urging the withdrawal of U.S. forces from the region. · 1-15-91 -- Tensely waiting as the U.N. deadline passes, approximately 70 students and professors gather at Ware College House for a teach-in to share thoughts on the war and a possible draft. Later, students huddle around televisions watching network news and eating donuts. · 1-16-91 -- As the allied bombing of Iraq and Kuwait begins, students stage an impromptu protest rally on College Green and later march to Center City. · 1-17-91 -- Campus protestors hold their second rally in as many days with hundreds marching on City Hall to voice their opposition to the U.S.'s presence in the Persian Gulf. Students are shocked at reports of the first Iraqi Scud hits on Israel. Daily Pennsylvanian Staff Writer Gayle Meyers reports from Israel on the eve of the first Scud attacks. · 1-18-91 -- Over 300 students rally on College Green in support of Israel just one day after it was hit by Iraqi Scud missiles. · 1-19-91 -- Forty students turn out on College Green to support U.S. troops fighting in the Gulf. · 1-22-91 -- Organizers hold an interfaith prayer vigil to pray for humanity and cooperation during the crisis. The Christian Association sponsors an information session for conscientious objectors to inform potential C.O.'s how to apply for that status. · 1-24-91 -- Approximately 200 students rally on College Green to show support for U.S. troops. Many criticize student opposition to the war. · 1-28-91 -- The Vice Provost for University Life sets up a Gulf crisis hotline to provide information on University services and events relating to the Gulf war. · 1-31-91 -- Renowned historian Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. tells over 400 students that U.S. involvement in the Persian Gulf war was unnecessary and that diplomacy was not given enough chance. · 2-5-91 -- Residential Living officials ask students to remove American flags from windows, saying they violate occupancy agreements. Officials say their concerns are for safety and are not meant as a political statement. · 2-7-91 -- The Graduate and Professional Student Assembly, after heated debate, narrowly passes a resolution voicing their concerns over the Persian Gulf war and its effect on the University. President Sheldon Hackney talks with approximately 40 students at High Rise South about the University's responsibilities during the Persian Gulf crisis . · 2-8-91 -- Wharton School officials announce that no students will be required to travel overseas as part of school programs, in reaction to State Department travel advisories stemming from the Gulf war. · 2-12-91 -- The Muslim Student Association holds a panel to discuss students' misconceptions about Muslims' attitudes toward the Gulf war. The two-and-a-half-hour presentation features Temple University faculty and one University graduate student. · 2-23-91 -- As U.S. and allied troops move into Iraq and Kuwait, approximately 25 students stage a 'die-in' in Van Pelt Library and a similar demonstration in Superblock. They then protest within the Quadrangle dormitories. · 2-25-91 -- Fourteen students protest U.S. involvement in the Persian Gulf in front of the Peace Symbol on College Green. Several counter-demonstrators carry flags and signs in support of the war.