Lisa Hanold, a former student at Harcum Junior College in Bryn Mawr, filed the suit along with her parents in April 1988. She claims that she was permanently scarred in the attack, which occurred while she was studying at VHUP as part of a Harcum educational program. The suit names Harcum as a co-defendent. The Harcum program, called a practicum, involved instruction on the handling of animals. Hanold alleges that the University was negligent in allowing her to handle the dog without proper supervision. "VHUP and Harcum failed to provide proper instruction in the handling of the dog," Susan Claypoole, Hanold's attorney, said last month. "They were negligent in that they failed to advise her of the character of the dog and failed to muzzle the dog." Hanold is seeking in excess of $100,000 damages for pain and suffering. Opening arguments were heard yesterday in the civil case. Carole Contel, director of Nursing Education at VHUP, testified for the University by describing the practicum. Harcum official Nadine Hackman also explained the practicum. Three Harcum students who said they witnessed the attack testified for Hanold about the extent and the nature of the attack. In opening arguments, Donna Freedel, the University's attorney, claimed that the University is not liable for Hanold's injuries, since Harcum was responsible for her training. In addition, she said that there was nothing VHUP officials could have done to prevent the attack. Freedel said that the day's testimony confirmed the University's arguments. According to Freedel, the testimony revealed that the dog attacked Hanold without warning and that there was not time for a muzzle to be placed on the dog. Freedel said yesterday that she was pleased with the testimony. "It showed what we said in opening arguments," said Freedel. "They told what really went on. There was no testimony to show how could be prevented." Claypoole, the attorney for Hanold, could not be reached for comment last night.