Several student leaders, faculty and staff members urged the removal of fraternities from the center of campus at a noontime rally yesterday. Organizers had intended to focus the rally on their criticism of President Sheldon Hackney's statement that Walk diversity committee members are not to consider removing fraternities from Locust Walk. But instead, speakers -- including Asian-American Student Alliance member Hue Tran, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Alliance member Sloan Wiesen, and Graduate and Professional Student Assembly Chairperson Susan Garfinkel -- spent most of the hour pointing out what they said are serious faults in the University's fraternity system. Women's Alliance member Carla Hutton, who has been a vocal proponent of relocating fraternities, cited several recent examples of fraternity violence and abuse of women. Interfraternity Council President Brett Kinsella and College junior Tex Roper both defended fraternities, although they were not expected to speak. No Greek organizations were represented among the scheduled speakers. Hackney announced his intention to diversify Locust Walk last spring, and subsequently appointed a committee to advise him on the best way to accomplish that goal. He formally charged the committee in September. Since the committee started meeting this semester, students and faculty have criticized Hackney for limiting the committee's power by not allowing members to consider relocating fraternities. "I think it's outrageous to convene a group and say they are not to move fraternities," College junior Wiesen said at the rally. "It's like saying we don't want to diversify Locust Walk." Some people have also criticized the make-up of the committee, requesting more graduate student representation. Represented among yesterday's speakers were several campus women's and racial minority groups, the Undergraduate Assembly and Graduate Student Associations Council, and staff members. They spoke to a crowd of approximately 70 people. The rally was organized by the Progressive Student Alliance. PSA member Peter Frank said although he did not intend for the rally to focus on removing fraternities, he agreed with speakers that there is "no way to increase diversity without removing fraternities." "Locust Walk is not a male social club," GSAC President Michael Polgar said in his address. "Equality is not represented by fraternities or sororities. It's represented by diversity." Much of the rally's discussion centered around property rights. PSA supporters called for the expulsion of fraternities from University-owned houses, claiming the groups do not have the sole right to retain residences on the campus' main thoroughfare. But fraternity members Kinsella and Roper said diversity goes beyond the relocation of a group of people. They said many fraternities paid for their houses, and that members pay the University to reside there each year. "Fraternities for years and years and years have been putting money into the houses," said Roper, a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. "Fraternities and sororities are a profit center for the University." Hackney could not be reached for comment last night.