Outside Annenberg Auditorium yesterday afternoon, the chaotic lines of students waiting to see Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy could have used a bit of law and order. After shoving their way into two overflowing lecture halls with video screens and a standing-room-only auditorium, over 800 people sat on the edge of their seats waiting to hear the hour-long speech by the justice. Speaking free of any notes, with only a glass of water on his lectern, the justice carefully intertwined American history into current events, touching on a variety of topics. During his speech, the audience listened intensely to the justice's speech -- which did not touch on any of the issues currently before the nation's highest court. In reference to the history of the American revolution, Kennedy stressed the importance of the people's role in government. "The overthrow of a whole constitutional structure, if that fusion is animated by a revolution, is in the name of freedom a fortuitous event," Kennedy said. Throughout his speech, he made constant references to former revolutionaries such as John Adams and Thomas Paine, saying that the American public has an obligation to uphold the policies started by the nation's founding fathers. "The government [is there] to insure society is faithful of those who brought revolution about," he added. Kennedy jumped from topic to topic during much of the lecutre but related the theme of revolution to the current upheaval in Central Europe. "The verdict of history will tell whether [Eastern Europe] can make the difficult transition to preserve the fruits of their constitution," the justice said. Kennedy, who joined the Supreme Court in February of 1988, also tackled the separation that must exist between state and private affairs. "Progress as a people is measured by achievement in the private sphere," he added. "It is not for government to suggest, dictate, or control." The justice also briefly touched on freedom of speech saying "right of expression applies to all matter," but said that people do not have to accept that in their private lives. The auditorium, located on the third floor, filled to capacity long before the speech was set to begin. The stairwells brewed over with students, faculty, and alumni anxious to hear what Kennedy had to say. The remaining people were filed into two adjacent lecture halls, where the speech was wired in through a video camera. The audience, on the whole, seemed pleased with Kennedy's presentation, although some said they would like to have heard more specifics from the justice. Third-year Law School student Jonathan Foreman said that the speech was "circumspect, because associate justices have to be [due to restrictions]. It was reassuring in terms of free speech." Others felt that the speech showed a different side of Kennedy not often seen by the general public. Ron Rubin, also a third-year Law School student, said afterwards that "Kennedy is not always made out to an intellectual. I think he dispelled any myths tonight." After the speech, audience members were urged by a costumed Benjamin Franklin to proceed over to the Law School for a reception. The wine-and-cheese reception also drew a several hundred people who waited in anticipation of shaking Kennedy's hand and perhaps exchanging a few words with him.