Andres Serrano, one of the artists whose work has been a focal point of the fiery debate over federal funding for artwork, will speak on campus tomorrow. Serrano's Piss Christ, a work of art composed of a crucifix in a jar of Serrano's urine, sparked widespread debate two years ago because critics considered the work obscene and objected to the Serrano's receiving funds from the National Endowment for the Arts. Serrano's work, along with that of photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, attracted the attention of Senator Jesse Helms (R-N.C.) in the summer of 1989. Helms used the Mapplethorpe and Serrano exhibits as ammunition to pass a congressional bill restricting NEA funding. Graduate School of Fine Arts Lecture Committee member Becky Acker, whose group is sponsoring the speech, said that although Serrano will speak about his current work, he was chosen because of his role in the censorship debate. "He might bring up some issues that artists could think about, in this time period when there seems to be so much controversy about making art, and who can make it and who should tell us what to make," said Acker, a third-year Fine Arts student. Third-year Fine Arts student Daniel Heyman, another member of the Lecture Committee, said he was interested in providing a forum for the artist to speak in a place where he would not be restricted by censorship. "We see that as a function of the University: artists come and present their ideas and have real debate," he said. "It's impossible to talk about an artist's work unless you allow the artist to talk about his work and where it's coming from." Acker said that although Serrano's work is controversial, she has received no complaints about the artist's appearance at the University. Serrano's speech is part of the Graduate School of Fine Arts' year-long lecture series, and it is co-sponsored by the Institute of Contemporary Art. Serrano will speak at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday in Meyerson Hall, room B-3. Admission is free.