Penn Watch, which was implemented last year in a joint effort of the UA and the Interfraternity Council, organizes three patrol routes along campus perime - ters and in the surrounding area. UA Chairperson Duchess Harris said this week that she is planning to meet with local residents and Uni - versity minority leaders next week to ask them to get involved. Black Student League President Buzz Thomas said the concept for Penn Watch is "great" but the current structure has alienated local residents. "A lot of times, the people in these predominantly black neighborhoods feel pushed aside by the Univer - sity," Thomas said yesterday. "I think that working side by side with area residents will show that the Penn community and the West Philadelphia commun - ity are trying to make this a safer place and show that not everybody who lives in West Philadelphia is a threat." But Penn Watch founder Chris McLaughlin said that he has received no complaints since Penn Watch be - gan and that he does not think the program exacer - bates racial tensions. McLaughlin said that including non-Greek students in Penn Watch should be the first priority of the UA, but added that he supports expanding Penn Watch to local residents as well. Progressive Student Alliance member Scott Kur - ashige, who has in the past been a vocal critic of Penn Watch, said last night that because Penn Watch found - ers did not consult with area residents when the prog - ram was implemented, it is understandable that the program would cause racial tension. "It's not suprising that the residents I've talked to would feel threatened by white, male fraternity & brothers carrying steel flashlights," he said. Harris said that she expects area residents initially to be hesitant about getting involved in the program because they may feel tension between themselves and University students. But she said she hopes to change the residents' opinions once they understand that Penn Watch can make the area safer. Harris said she is uncertain if the routes will be extended further west if West Philadelphia residents participate. UA Security Committee Chairperson Andrew Tsai said last night that he is currently working with the IFC, the United Minorities Council, the Black Inter - Greek Council and other student groups to form a fourth route around the Hill House and Kings Court/ English House residences.