(*****EDS NOTE: See Follow up to story for possible changes) The School of Arts and Sciences faculty voted yesterday to allow students to count General Honors courses taken within the last two years towards the distributional requirement. Approximately 55 members of the College faculty unanimously approved the move, proposed by the committee reviewing the General Requirement. The change will allow a maximum of two GH courses taken during the 1988-89 and 1989-90 academic years to count toward the 10-course requirement. Yesterday's vote was the latest phase in a continuing discussion and modification of the general requirement in the College. Last spring, the College faculty voted to maintain the structure of the requirement after the three-year trial period came to a close. But the faculty decided to include freshman seminars and GH courses towards the distributional requirement for classes starting with the class of 1994. Later this semester, the College faculty may discuss and vote on making freshman seminars taken in the past years count retroactively towards the General Requirement. David Williams, former chairperson of the Ad Hoc Committee on the General Requirement, said yesterday that faculty allowed GH courses to be counted retroactively toward the requirement because students had been told unofficially for two years that they would be valid. Williams also said that faculty only decided to let two GH courses retroactively because the College faculty voted on the number for future classes last spring. Williams said the committees which determine the courses that fulfill each of the seven sectors have established the categories for which the GH courses count. Any student wishing to know the sector for the GH course they have taken should contact the GH office.