Elected to the House in 1980, Democratic incumbent Foglietta serves on the Armed Services Committee and on the Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committee, where he chairs the subcommittee on oversights and investigations. Abortion: Foglietta is for abortion rights. Crime and Drugs: Foglietta has supported legislation to curb drug trafficking, and recently introduced two pieces of legislation that would aid in the fight against drugs. The first bill would be a pilot program to aid local communities that are fighting drugs, and give financial help to those groups that are doing a good job combatting drugs. The other bill would provide emergency drug-fighting aid to major cities, similar to federal disaster aid. Defense:Foglietta wants to slash the defense budget, eliminating funding for Star Wars, the B-2 bomber and the M-X missile. Education:Foglietta wants to increase financial aid to college students that "had been held back in the Reagan years." Environment:Foglietta has a strong environmnetal record in Congress. He is trying to muster support against ocean-dumping and oil spills, and has worked on two landmark ocean-dumping bills. He also favors a national bottle-recylcing bill. Philadelphia budgetFoglietta is proposing a federal pool of $300 million in grants for cities, including Philadelphia, in need of immediate assistance. Source: Michael DiBerardinis, Foglietta's staff director. James Jackson (R) Republican challenger James Jackson says in his campaign flyer that he is running for Congress out of the "love" for the people in his district. Love is also the insurance agent's middle name. Jackson was an aide to Jesse Jackson at the 1988 Democratic Convention. He has served on the 30th Ward committee and as an aide to Democratic State Senator Freeman Hankins. He switched his party affiliation to the Republican Party after Jesse Jackson did not receive the Democratic Party nomination in 1988. Abortion: Jackson favors restricting some abortions, but says he does not think abortion should be a campaign issue. He is not in favor of a constitutional amendment outlawing abortion, but does support notifying parents of minors before abortions. Crime and DrugsJackson believes in the death penalty for drug kingpins as well as for people who kill police officers. He also favors stronger enforcement of drug laws, harsher laws for drug-money launderers, and larger funds to drug treatment centers. Defense:Jackson favors strong defense spending, but recognizes cuts must be made in high-cost projects such as Star Wars. Education:Jackson would like to investigate implementing a pilot program for freedom of education, which would allow children and their parents a choice of schools. Environment:Jackson believes that forcing businesses to decrease pollution by placing scrubbers on smoke stacks will not only protect the health of Amercians, but provide jobs as well. Philadelphia budgetJackson would like to increase federal funds to the city. Source: Dennis Morrison--Wesley, honorary chairman of the Jackson campaign.