malik-muhammad-photo-from-upenn-lgbt-center

Associate Director of the University of Pennsylvania's LGBT Center Malik Muhammad (Photo from UPenn LGBT Center).

LGBT Center Associate Director Malik Muhammad will be transitioning to a new role within University Life beginning July 1.

Muhammad will be the inaugural director of inclusion initiatives and social justice education beginning July 1. His transition follows former LGBT Center Director Erin Cross' departure in June, prompting a nation-wide search to fill both roles. 

“University Life is currently launching two, national searches to fill the Associate Director of the LGBT Center and Director of the LGBT Center positions," University Life Executive Director of Strategic Initiatives Mike Elias wrote in the statement to The Daily Pennsylvanian. "Malik Muhammad will continue to support the LGBT Center through the transitionary period.”

Muhammad’s five years as associate director involved overseeing the LGBT Center’s educational programs, collaborating with active LGBTQ student groups on campus, and fostering connections across the University. 

On campus, Muhammad has moderated multiple events hosted by the Social Planning and Events Committee. Recently, he led a sit-down with "Everything Everywhere All at Once" star Stephanie Hsu. He previously hosted a conversation with filmmaker Spike Lee and a discussion with "Euphoria" actress Hunter Schafer. Muhammad was also instrumental in helping the Mask and Wig Club hold its first gender-inclusive production in the musical comedy troupe's 134-year history starting January. 

Muhammad, a Philadelphia native, combined his on-campus and off-campus contributions with a filmed visit to Philadelphia’s Gayborhood in celebration of Pride Month with University Life in June 2022, which explored the area’s history and showcased LGBTQ-owned small businesses. 

Locally, Malik is a member of the Penn Center for AIDS Research Community Advisory Board and the Colours Organization board while simultaneously being a local entertainer. 

Muhammad's departure from the LGBT Center is the second staff shake-up at the LGBT Center in a month, leaving Associate Director Jake Muscato the only full-time staff member.