perry-world-house-kylie-cooper-1
An alumni gift to Perry World House's study and programming related to global justice and human rights was announced on March 16. Credit: Kylie Cooper

Penn announced an alumni gift to Perry World House that supports study and programming related to global justice and human rights on March 16.

The gift from Hemal N. Mirani and Paritosh V. Thakore, who graduated from Wharton in 1997 and 1986 respectively, will create and fund the Thakore Family Global Justice and Human Rights Visiting Fellowship and the Thakore Family Global Justice and Human Rights Program. 

The Visiting Fellow will participate actively at the Perry World House and conduct personal research in global justice and human rights. The Global Justice and Human Rights Program will begin in fall 2022, supporting annual programming initiatives. 

Director and Richard Perry Professor at Perry World House, Michael Horowitz, said in a press release that the two programs build on Penn’s existing human rights resources to emphasize a global perspective on justice and human rights. 

“The Thakores’ gift will advance work that is essential to understanding our current global environment,” Horowitz said. “There is no part of the world that remains unscathed by human rights abuses and social justice inequities — some of which make headlines and some of which remain hidden.”  

The gift aligns with the 10th anniversary celebration of Penn Global in fall 2022.

“Perry World House is at the heart of Penn Global,” Vice Provost for Global Initiatives Ezekiel Emanuel said in the release. “The Thakores’ gift to support visiting scholars and ongoing programming is a testament to Penn’s growing reputation in world affairs and Perry World House’s ability to get the right people in the room to do really hard and necessary work.”