three-up-schwartzman-2019-600-x-400

(Left to right) Wharton senior Andrew Howard, master’s student Zinan Chen in the Graduate School of Education, and 2017 Wharton graduate Malik Abdul Majeed. (Photo from Louisa Shepard)

Two Penn students and one Penn graduate were awarded the Schwarzman Scholarship, a selective program that funds a year of graduate study at Tsinghua University in Beijing. This year’s recipients are Wharton senior Andrew Howard, master’s student Zinan Chen in the Graduate School of Education, and 2017 Wharton graduate Malik Abdul Majeed.

After a year of graduate study, the scholars will receive a master’s degree in global affairs. Blackstone co-founder Stephen A. Schwarzman designed the program to prepare future global leaders for current geopolitical challenges and create more connections between China and the rest of the world.

Penn’s new recipients will enroll at Tsinghua University in August 2020 as part of the fifth class of Schwarzman Scholars. Out of the 4,700 applicants who applied this year, only 145 were accepted. Students from 41 countries and 108 universities competed for the spots. 

Throughout their course of study, Schwarzman Scholars will explore a core curriculum centered on three pillars: China, global affairs, and leadership. 

A diverse range of elective courses is available, and beyond the classroom, there are chances to travel around China and participate in professional development opportunities.